Cleaning ears

Mt dd has been having problems with fluid in her ears lately. Dr gave some meds and we have an ET appointment in 2 weeks to see if she needs tubes.

At the 1st apt they irrigated her ears and a huge chunk of wax/fluid buildup came out. It was awful. How can I prevent this? She really hated her ears being irrigated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do the irrigation once a week with WATER only.

We used one of those kits with the cleaning solution on my son (recommended by the doctor) and he had a reaction to it. He does have sensitive skin, but the peroxide stuff dried the wax out and irritated his ear canal. By the time I could get him to the doctor, the wax crap had adhered itself to the canal and they had to literally pick it like a scab to get it out (the wad was rubbing on his ear drum, it had to come out). His ear seeped blood for the next 24 hours.

I know she hates it, but it's really the best thing to use. I do it on all of mine now...and two of the three hate it. We discovered that using any oil just made the wax more "goopy" and harder to flush out. (that was OUR experience)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Buy an ear wax removal kit from the pharmacy.
    Anonymous

• talk to your doctor first i would say.

I had terrible problems with ear infections as a kid and eventually had my tonsels removed and a tube put in.

Doc told me not to put anything smaller then my elbow in my ear.

they can also perscribe a medication that breaks down wax build up so talk to them about that.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My son has problems with this. He is now 21and has had it done many times many places.

The best way is to prevent wax from building up. Q-tips shouldn't be used because they push wax further in the ear. When she takes a shower or bath let very warm water get in her ears. An hour or so after the shower there may be wax you can wipe out of the ear. I'm a big wax maker and there is always a lot of wax in my ear after a shower.

If it builds up in the ear there is no perfect answer. The doctors can't agree. I think the best thing is to put oil in the ears for several nights with swimming ear plugs or cotton. I use Burt's Bees Baby Oil (Apricot Seed). I wouldn't put mineral oil in the ear. That will make it soft. Then you can go to the doctor's and have it removed. It is usually easier with it soft. Or you can try at home with warm water and a bulb syringe. Sometimes the ear ends up infected and needs meds.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• before you do tubes read this book No More Amoxicillin: Preventing and Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections Without Antibiotics by Mary Ann Ann Block . It was eye opening for me. For my son if he consumes dairy he gets an ear infection, for my middle son it's nuts. I swear when I was breastfeeding him if I ate a single nut he would get an ear infection. Myself I had this cycle as a child. When I was little I had cronic ear infections, then cronic tonsilitus(had them removed, then it was cronic sinus infections. The body is going to find a way to tell you something is wrong one way or the other. When I was in my early 20's I went of dairy for a diet. I stopped getting infections. Now I've noticed that if I eat too many nuts I can feel it in my ears.

As for the build up you can put a couple drops of warmed(not hot) olive oil in the ears. It's soothing and breaks up the wax.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• you can do alot of various things.
    children who have allergies of any type tend to have this problem.
    you can simply wash the child's hair regulary and make up some suds, and then gently push some suds in the ears. leave it on the ear while bathing and then let the shower wash out the shampoo regularly.
    you can use any softener on the wax, warm water, warm soapy water, liquid stool softener, vegetable or olive oil, mineral or baby oil, sweet oil, hydrogen peroxide and let it set in the ear about twenty minutes or overnight and then let the shower irrigate it out regularly.
    you can buy an ear wax removal kit that has an ear syringe, but i think pediatric nasal syringes work better.

do not put anything into the ear canal, no fingers, curretes, q tips, nothing. simply allow the irrigation of the warm water remove the wax. Regular irrigations is your best bet.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2009