Half sister & brothers

Might be a stupid question but...
I have 3 stepkids. They are here every other weekend even if that (that's by their mother's choice and we don't have the money to fight it yet). And I have my 2 kids.
CPS was called on either us (more so my hubby) side or my stepkids mother side. They won't tell us who the case was started for but the fact that it's between his kids and their mother. Nothing about me my name isn't even on the paperwork besides a person living in the home.
I understand they need to check out both house and they are more then welcome too. And that they will talk to the kids.
However, I really don't want them talking to my oldest son. CPS has already talked to my stepkids.
Can I tell them not to talk to my son or do I have to allow it? Sorry so long just to get to the question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• why don't you want them talking to him? if its not too personal.

I don't think you legally have to... but they may see it as suspicious and it could work against your husband.

They may take it as you having something to hide.

just my opinion though
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i agree with tntmom
    unless your child is going to say something you don't want him to say, why would you not allow him to speak to CPS?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't want him talking to them because the case has NOTHING to do with my son. It's between my hubby and his ex wife and their kids. Why should I have to invole my son in the questions. I DON'T care that they come look at my house and see that it's fit but to me talking to my son is going to far.
    Anonymous

• id say your son would be the best person for them to talk to then they will find out nothings wrong just vendictive others and will close there case. but if you put up a fight they can make it hard for you too... good luck
    Anonymous

• I respect the fact you don't want your child to be dragged into the drama but it really is in the children's best interest to talk to all people living in the home. Yes, you have the right to refuse. They also have the right to get a family court judge to order that he be interviewed...and then you are trumped. In the interest of saving time, money, and just the hassle....I'd let my child be interviewed.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Don't have him there when they come. If he isn't involved then they won't ask about him but It's possible they may ask to see him to make sure he's ok. CPS came to my house once but they only observed the kids. They didn't ask them any questions. My oldest child was 17 and he called them on me bc I wouldn't let him have a key to my apt for his girlfriend. So it was between me and my son. They didn't even talk to the daughters even though they were nosey and were in the room to hear what cps said! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 9:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I understand not wanting your son involved, but since he does live there they may want to talk with him and see it as suspicious if you do not allow it. Without knowing what exactly they are investigating it is hard to predict whether they will even want to talk with him. It may just be someone called about the living conditions and then they will only investigate the home you know. If they want to they can get a family court judge to order the interview with him and then you don't have choice. Personally I would just make sure son and I were not there when they come and if they have questions for either of you then they can call or come back and at least you limit the possibility.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If your son is in the home, they may want to question him. I would not protest it too much as then you will just look as if you have something to hide. If your name is not even mentioned it may not even come down to that. Wait to worry.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2009