are there such things as growing pains?

my son is always complaining of his legs cramping...my mom has him believing that he needs to eat a banana to help the cramps. I know that bananas will help with cramping/muscle aches but he always complains. Could it be he just wants a banana and he is blaming it on cramps or do you think he is having growing pains or could it be something else?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would focus on stretching, flexing, soft movements, etc, especially right before bed. Kids sometimes don't have the words to convey what they're feeling (i.e. does he mean bone when he says muscle, does he have restless leg type discomfort that isn't necessarily cramping?) Depending on his age, you can show him a color picture of the anatomy (You can print them out on med. sites) and ask him to show what hurts, and where it hurts. If the pain is constant, then print out say 7 pictures, and tell him to color or mark where it hurts (like, point to the picture and say this is your muscle, and then point to his leg and say this is where that is in your leg) Each time he has pain, ask him to mark it. You may see a pattern, such as a pain right on the bone or a tingling every morning when he wakes up, etc. Then, if you suspect it is more than growing pains, you can take those to the doctor and have something more concrete.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes, growing pains are real. We give our daughter either Hyland's teething tabs or Hyland's leg cramp pills.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• And kiwi has much more potassium than banana.

• It could be growing pains. My nephew sometimes complains about his legs hurting and not long after he grows a few inches.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 7:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I will tell you that I STILL remember the agony that is growing pains. For me, it wasn't like muscle cramps....it was actually PAIN in my BONES. Like shin splints...omg....it was terrible and my mom kind of got it, but no one else did. They never gave me anything for the pain....just told me to rub it. So if his pain is anything like mine, bananas won't help. He's going to need some Hylands or some Tylenol.

BTW...I'll be 34 in a couple weeks...so yeah....it's stuck with me that long! LOL!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 8:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yes, growing pains are real and painful. My son goes to a sports medicine doctor and he said to make sure he stretches, uses Advil for pain and cramping, use heat or cold to help with any swelling.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• yes, growing pains are real and pretty painful. Vit E actually works well to help.. but he will probably still hurt... one way to know if its real is that growing pains usually happen at night... your body does most of its growing while you sleep.

Also I have some rice bags that I will warm up and put on my sons legs, to help, he usually calms right down and falls asleep afterwards.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I remember the pain of growing pains! My legs use to hurt SOOOOO very badly so yes, that is one thing I would trust if my son said it. He does complain about his legs hurting every once-in-a-while (he is 5) and I am sure its growing pains but its nothing consistant. He does, however, complain about a back ache that I swear doesnt exist so I understand questioning your child. His teacher was out with a back injury for a week and then all of a sudden Jaydin started getting back aches and had to go home from school with them 3 times in 2 weeks!! I know he was faking it but the school wouldnt listen to me!

Bananas are a good source of potassium so with or without growing pains, it is still good for him to eat bananas! At least he isnt asking for medicine or candy:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• yes... and its heartbreaking to watch your child go thur them (imo). i'm glad i ran into this question now i know i need to stock up on bananas :D
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 4:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009