I am having sleep issues with my 13 month old, can anyone share success stories with the CIO method?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal for children to wake up at night until they are 3. Human baby brains are hard wired to sleep with mom, wake when alone, wake at night and nurse, and not sleep through the night until 3 or so. Just because we in the US think babies are supposed to wean at 6 months or earlier and sleep through the night in cribs it doesn't undo all the years of human evolution. Today in most places mothers sleep with their babies and toddlers nurse at night.

No child should have to CIO.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't expect her to sleep through the night all the time, I just wanted tips on helping her fall asleep on her own at bed time and for naps.
    Anonymous

• I had zero success with CIO. My son is extremely willful and would scream until he puked, so I didn't push CIO after that. I have friends who have had success with it though.

Does your baby have a lovey? A paci? what are you doing now? "The No Cry Sleep Solution" book is a pretty good resource for teaching your baby to go to sleep on his own, but you have to be dedicated. I am a baby sleep failure, I cuddle my son to sleep every night and at nap time. We wakes up at night and I either cuddle him back to sleep or bring him into bed with me. He is 16 months.

So I guess my advice is don't listen to me because I don't know what I am doing?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I am doing the same thing you are doing now, holding her until she falls asleep for naps and at night. When she wakes up at night I either put her in my bed or give her a bottle and rock her back to sleep.
    Anonymous

• I think you should invest in a the book the No Cry Sleep Solution and also know that 13 months is not that unusual for a baby to still be waking up. She might look big to you now comparatively, but she's only been on this earth for a year and change! She does not know better. I would personally continue to get up and comfort my baby until she was 2 1/2 or so. Then I may consider CIO, under very strict parameters, but I never needed it.

IMO If you absolutely MUST do CIO, although I do not advise it generally.. you have to do it during nap-time first. Do not try it at night or in the middle of the night - it is too traumatic. And you absolutely must stop once the baby has become very upset. If she is shuddering/shaking, vomiting, the process (you go in every 2-5 minutes or so and rub the back) takes longer than 30 minutes, or the cry takes on a high-pitched ring to it I think you should stop and give up that method.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Once again, I don't expect her to sleep through the night. I want her to develop the ability to fall asleep on her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2009