Question for co sleeping moms

My family and I will be traveling (a short trip) anyway our 7 month old will be sharing the bed with hubby and myself. What do you do if they wake up? Do you comfort them in bed, do you get in bed when they do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you aren't used to sleeping with your baby you probably shouldn't do it while traveling. There are rules for safe co-sleeping. The baby could sleep in a travel crib.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• if you've already got your baby used to sleeping alone, you should probably invest in a pack n play or something for him to sleep in during the trip...once you let them in your bed, it's hard to get them out! i co-slept with my first until he was 1, he was 3 before i could keep him in his own bed all night...my second now sleeps in a bassinet by the bed, but occassionally gets in bed with us if i am too tired to pat him back to sleep because he falls right asleep next to me. if your child never sleeps with you, i congratulate you on the accomplishment and urge you to NOT start it now...lol
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If co-sleeping isn't something you do full time and want to continue at home, bring a travel crib. If you are going to cosleep anyway, be prepared for baby to not want to sleep on his/her own once you get home.

If baby wakes up, comfort the baby in bed and go back to sleep. As for going to bed with baby- even when I co-sleep, I put baby to bed on their own (in their own bed- safe for him/her) first and then take the baby in our bed either (1) when we go to bed or (2) the first time baby wakes up after we go to bed. Personally, my hubby and I need some baby free time so going to bed when our baby did wasn't a good option. Also, please, please do not put a baby to bed alone in an adult bed. I have a friend who's 5mo scooted for the first time while on an adult bed taking a nap (they had just moved), he got himself wedged in somewhere and died.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I co-sleep. we co-slept with our first child until he decided to sleep in his own bed shortly after our second child was born. He was 18 months old. We are still co-sleeping with our one year old, though some nights she ends up in bed with her brother! So cute! Anyways, I nurse, so when DD wakes I just nurse her back to sleep. My son was FF, and when he woke I would cuddle him in bed or give him a cup if he was hungry. I never left the bed though unless they absolutely refused to go to sleep, then I would rock them in the rocking chair next to the bed. HTH!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 8:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I co-sleep. I think you need a travel bed. Mine is nursing so when he wakes, he just latches on.
    Anonymous

• From a co-sleeping perspective, yes, we all go to bed at the same time usually. By comfort, yes, I nurse her in bed.
    But I agree with the first poster... you should not start co-sleeping while traveling. If nothing else, you could make a "pallet" bed on the floor for the baby.
    Anonymous

• When my son was that age, I nursed him every time he woke up in the night. So I guess the answer is: it depends if you are nursing or not :) If not, maybe just cuddle him and pat him a little. You'll figure out something that works once you're there.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• OP, its just one night, is that going to ruin everything??

Anonymous

• We occasionally co sleep with our daughter, when she wakes up I usually rub her back until she settles down. As for when should you hop into bed with her, I usually let her get a head start on us that way she's in a deep sleep before I hop in.
    GreenLadie

Answer by GreenLadie at 8:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• When baby wakes up,nurse until baby goes back to sleep.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2009