How can I heal my son's foreskin?

Our elderly doctor told me that our son needed to have his foreskin retracted every so often as he did it to him. I told his father and he has been doing that from time to time, although I hope not very often because he usually (thankfully this time) forgets what I tell him. The problem is that the tip was read and he was uncomfortable so we took him in and the doctor again forced back the foreskin and tore the skin. He said it was adhering and he would probably need to be circumcised. I look all of this up after we left the office and saw that he never needed to have any of this done to him. He cried so hard at the doctor's office when he did this and I cried when I got home. Is there anything anyone knows of that we can do to help him heal without circumcision. I feel like an idiot for trusting a doctor. I should know better as they have caused us horrible anguish for the past year and a half.

Please help ladies!

Baku76

Asked by Baku76 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Leave it alone. You do not have to do anything.

Next time don't don't do the surgery if you have a baby boy. Let him choose if he wants to be mutilated as an adult. It's the same surgery.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You are right in understanding now that he should have never been retracted.

This is what I try to help people understand...all of this misinformation by well meaning people (dr's too) who do harm.

If there is no current issue with his forskin...just leave it alone, wash like a finger and let it heal itself...

Dont beat yourself up mom, we all make mistakes....we are human! ;)
    Anonymous

• gailll He DIDNT have the surgery...she is asking what to do to avoid it....
    Anonymous

• lol at first poster.

I had let someone babysit my son and she forced his back - a doctor had told her that you were supposed to back when her son was a baby :( He was very cranky for a few days afterward, but I just cleaned it like I regularly would and he is fine now. Just don't pull back on it anymore, it will retract eventually on its own. And make sure you give a heads up to anyone that will be changing his diaper!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

Baku76

Answer by Baku76 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Leave it alone. You do not have to do anything. Next time don't don't do the surgery if you have a baby boy. Let him choose if he wants to be mutilated as an adult. It's the same surgery.

Gail, he never was circumcised because I believe that it is inhumane and is not my choice to make. Please, please, please read posts more carefully before berating someone. It's hurtful, especially when someone is reaching out for support and encouragement. I already feel horrible about the circumstances and just want to do the right thing now for my son. My mistake was putting my trust fully in this doctor and not doing better research. This won't be my first mistake.I do my best. Still, I must say that I am impressed with your passion as it is something I too feel is such a horrible thing to happen to a child. 

Thank you ladies for your responses.

Baku76

Answer by Baku76 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If it's bleeding or oozing stuff, maybe just a little vasaline to keep it from sticking to his diaper. Hope that helps!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Do nothing, it will heal on its own! It still shocks me when i read posts like this, makes me wonder what is wrong with doctors.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It should heal just fine on it;s own so DO NOT retract it anymore and just wash it gently on the outside. This is just one of the reasons so many people say they new someone who had to have it done later. Doctors are not well educated on this in the US and forceful retraction can cause many problems, but most can be healed with time not a circ. Don't feel bad mama just remember this for the next time if there is another boy in your future.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:06 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Gailll...shut the hell up and learn how to fucking READ!!!! This is why you give so much CRAP information on these boards!!!!

Reading comprehension...learn it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2009