Help! Can my baby overdose on vitamins?

Ok I gave her one dose of poly-vi-sol infant vitamins earlier around 3 and my mom just gave her another dose while babysitting about a half hour ago. Can my dd overdose on vitamins? I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's possible. How old is your baby? Most likely he'll just flush out whatever excess into his urine since it's just this one time and not a regular thing... but trust your doctor over whatever I say because I have no medical training. My Doc didn't put our son on those drops until he was 12 months.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yes, babies can overdose. No, two normal doses in one day will not cause an overdose.

You do need to be very careful with fluoride. If the baby got several doses of fluoride in one day it could be dangerous or even fatal. Children can die from toothpaste. Some babies take fluoride if their water doesn't have fluoride.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If your doctor doesn't call back very soon, perhaps you should call poison control: 800-222-1222.

Too much vit A is also dangerous.

Answer by Bmat at 8:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• yeah i od on vit c it sucked! i was sick for a week
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Only babies I know that take these vitamins are BF babies..they don't NEED them yet doctors seem to want to tell moms that. Stop the Vits all together and this won't happen again. Generally when too much of a vitamin is taken it will pass in the urine or stool, but the synthetic iron will cause constipation
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• op here: my dd is bf tabi. that is why she takes the vits.... she is 8 months old and after 6 months their iron storage depletes and they stop absorbing iron as well so that is why she takes them (formula is iron fortified and yes it is unessessary for ff babies to take the vitamins) Doc says she'll be ok.. thanks everyone
    Anonymous

• Actually none of that is true, 6 months is about the time that iron stores are depleted BUT BM has less iron than formula but its better absorbed. BM iron is 70% absorbed whereas formula and the drops are around 10% absorbed.

Doctors who say to give these vits have NOT done their research
    read this
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

AND if a baby is getting solids, give squash its high in iron and WAY better absorbed than the vits too..vitamins are synthetic and badly absorbed, same with fortified foods.

Come ask the breastfeeding moms
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

or call your local LC about it, she will have the BFing training that your doctor does not..sadly they get very little BFing training in medical school
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• yes you can overdose on vitamins easy ....coming from someone who did it before with vitaballs chewing gum i did not know it was that kind and chewed a massive amount of it and had to go to the hospital lol.... call poison control and tell them about it and ask what you can do to help or if you should take your child ot the ER but dont blame yourself sometimes these things happen and you cant help it .....I have to watch my in laws like a hawk for the same thing not that your mom is bad for it ....really it can happen to anyone just call poison control hope this helps(:
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If he vitimin has iron, call your doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2009