Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know what to do....

I watch a 2 year old and for over 4 weeks strait she has been bringing him this cold med for me to give him the bottle says first off not to give to kids yonger than 6 but she said give him one teaspoon every 3-4 hours (the bottle says give every 6 hours) so the first week i gave him it once a day and all well he came today and she still has it in his bag for the last two weeks he has not even coughed but she still says give it to him I asked has he been to the doc when he was sick and she told me no she didn't take him the bottle also says don't give for more than 7 days what is everyones thoughts on this

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Health

Answers (6)
  • I think that you should not go against your common sense and scruples. Maybe you should look around for a different family to sit for.

    Answer by Bmat at 8:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • I would have never gave the child any of the medicine. A doctor did not give it to the child and the child is to young for it. Just stop giving it to the child.

    Answer by louise2 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • report her. giving a medication to a child without talking to a doctor when the medication is clearly not for children of that age is near neglect. i would report it and not care what happens to the mother. this is irresponsible. you are right to question this behavior and to refuse to give the child this medicine.

    Answer by denisekeene at 8:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • I would "renew" your contract with her at the change of the year. Put in your policy that you do not dispense medicines of any kind without a written doctor's note. Then you don't have to worry about this in the future.

    Answer by ecodani at 9:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • I second ecodani's thoughts.

    Answer by happy1mom at 9:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • You could always call your own doctor and tell him/her the situation, or if you have a family practice in your area call anonymously and tell them (preferably a nurse) the situation, and ask what to do. That's probably what I would do, is talk to my own doctor - she's just great enough I feel I can be open with her about anything, she's very open with me, so I know I could go to her with a question like that if that situation came up in my life.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health

Next question overall (Money & Work)
Question for iphone users