So how can a doctor refuse me this and "ok" an abortion?

So when I was pregnant with my 3rd child, DH and I decided we were done having kids. After our 3rd was born I was going to get my tubes tied. So I talked to me doctor and told him that instead of getting my tubes tied, I wanted to remove my ovaries and uterus. That way I there would be NO chance of me getting pregnant, I would no longer have a period, and it would eliminate the threat of 2 kinds of cancer. I understand it would affect my hormones, but I was ok with that. The benefits outweighed that. He refused to do it. Yet, he performs abortions. So how can he think it's ok to remove a living human being from a woman's body, but not remove a few now useless organs? The aftermath of an abortion is so much more hard to deal with. I know lots of women who have had hysterectomies for 1 reason or another, & they're fine. I don't understand...

BTW, I also have problems w/ my period. I can't even get out of bed while I'm PMS'ing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most doctors won't do a hysterectomy unless there is genetic evidence of the cancer gene. I am sure it is a liability issue, and an issue with the insurance company's policy on paying for extensive invasive procedures as a preemptive measure. I am against abortion, but medically speaking, I think the procedure is pretty noninvasive - at least it's an outpatient procedure where as a full hysterectomy requires hospitalization and a lot of follow up care.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• why not just remove the uterus and leave the ovaries for there effectiveness in producing necessary hormones
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I had the Novasure procedure this past September, haven't had a period yet, and mine were horrible!! I would see another Dr, and just ignore what the other one said. I'm not getting into the the abortion debate. My Hubby had a vasectomy so there's no chance of pregnancy. My Hubby said I went through carrying and having our boys, it was the least he could do..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• They wont remove your reproductive organs just because you don't want them anymore. Do you think they'd placate someone that came in and said "I don't really need this appendix. There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't use it, please take it out"? There has to be something medically wrong with you for them to do such major surgery.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 8:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• A lot of providers will not cover hysterectomies without a valid reason because it doesn't just affect hormones and cause the patient to be on hormone replacement medicine for life, but it also can cause other health issues and risks. This really could have been his reason, but had I been you I would have prompted by asking him why so you didn't feel cheated with no valid reason when you left.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• There are issues with cancer and the replacement hormones. Just putting it out there for you.
    Anonymous

• well because you're effectively saying that if you regularly had arm pain, you'd just rather go ahead and have it removed and live with the consequences of no arm than risk problems from regular arm pain. He's just saying you should take a tylenol before you chop off your arm. the abortion thing isn't even relevant in your problem.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You can't compare apples to oranges. The two things you discuss are not similar or related.
    Anonymous

• There are so many problems that come with that drastic of a surgery. I was almost forced to have a hysterectomy after 3rd baby due to hemorrhaging. I knew I didn't want to be taking hormones and whatever other medications to regulate my body afterward. If you aren't happy with your doctor, see another doctor. Tell them your history of painful periods, and see what they suggest that can alleviate those symptoms.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• LMAO! that is not birth control.. neither abortion or removeale. practice safe sex silly!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009