Do you have a journal? and if so,is it helpful w/coping w/stressers and getting support?

I was wondering because I don't have any friends personally. It has taken me almost 37 years of life to realize that my parents arent my friends. I need a new outlet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have been keeping a journal for the last ten years or so, I write when I am stressed, worried, tense or just plain mad. Writing my feelings down has been a very good therapy technique for me it releases some of the toxins those emotions bring. I do have close friends, but sometimes, my journal serves much better than friends, it doesn't have an opinion, but it is instead an outlet for my emotions.

Answer by older at 9:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I used to keep a journal- had them for 9 years. turns out I would forget to write when I was really happy and enjoying life. I'd try to backtrack and record the happy memories, but it came off really artificial and I'd be embarassed for anyone to see them now. I honestly felt like I'd rather enjoy life and leave a legacy through actions, pictures and relationships instead of trying to awkwardly express myself though a journal. But I do believe through the guidance of a therapist, journals can be very helpful in moving through troubled times. I think if your probably is finding meaningful connections with people, perhaps that is what you should seek out? I run a playgroup/mom's group through meetup.com. They're a national website where people can create and/or join all kinds of clubs and they meet in person. That's one great place to start. You could also volunteer- the humane society is easy to get into and parks and rec has..
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• ...a variety of opportunities, even short notice. I have had trouble with friend all my life. It took realizing that I need to let go of my own insecurities (I would stress about what others thought of me and be super offended if I wasn't included in all activities). I also was honest with myself in where I could improve my communication. Organizing a group has helped me practice that and be more at ease. I hope these suggestions help- I think you need a friend more than a book
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• A journal is a good idea to have when you need to vent, or tell someone how you feel on paper. The bad thing is, if you write stuff down, there is a chance that it could be used against you if the wrong person found it. I know that from experience.
    Anonymous

• i guess you could call it a journal. i have a notebook and anytime i need to talk and theres no one around or its something i dont want to share i write in it. i also write poems in it, song lyrics, etc (even though im not in a band or anything, its just fun to me), i paint with water colors, write down goals to get to things i want bad (like finding a good man). its definitely helpful
    Anonymous