my 6 year old fights me at bed time every night what can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I realized that he needed me and so I stay with him until he is sleeping. So I rock him, sing to him, and read. We snuggle, I hold him until he is sleeping. I know it seems like a lot and some nights it isn't very convenient. Here is the truth: at 12 he will go to bed without your assistance and he won't need to be tucked in. The days where we can rock, sing, and snuggle end so quickly. Blink...and it is gone. So while my son still can fit on my lap and while I can still carry him, I'll do so. I also realized I am a mom even at night. My job is 24/7. Which means that just because it is 7:00 and bed time doesn't mean I am off duty. If he calls then I am still on Mom patrol.  By the way, this has worked out well for us.  We start our bed time routine around 7:15 and then by 8:00 I am out the door and taking it easy.  If I didn't "baby" him and provide him the love and attention he deserves - I would still be up around 9:00 t
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I dunno, at age 6 he just needs to go to bed. What does he do? Does he get up alot, if so make consequences for that. I was always a big stickler with bed times, I quit rocking my kids to sleep when they were infants lol. Alot of kids like routines, try and get him on a routine like a bath then a couple of short stories, a kiss goodnight and lights off, it works with a lot of friends of mine
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I have a 6 y.o.boy .  He is old enough to do the whole bedtime routine on his own. He is too big to be rocked like a baby. If he doesn't go to bed like he should then punish him !! take away a fav toy or special event. He is old enough to understand what is expected of him. I refuse to baby a 6 y.o. if they need extra cuddles that is one thing.

Try a bedtime routine that is what we do. He has a chart of things to do in the order they should be done. He knows if he does the  chart in good time he can get an extra story or two as a reward if he wastes time no story :-( He has learned to do his chart quickly  so he can have that extra story or two. We do the same thing in the morning a morning chart to follow the reward morning cartoons.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You need to start establishing a routine. My son and I have a routine every night. He watches Backyardigans then brushes his teeth and gets his jammies on. We read two bedtime stories, one regular book that I read and one Step 1 or Step 2 book that he reads. We say a prayer, he gets tucked in and I turn off the light. I do "read" one more book, but from memory and usualy by the time I finish he is snoring. I say "Sweet Dreams, I Love You" and leave his room.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Why would u need to read more than one book MomTo Jack 04?? Thats crazy. I dont do anything for my 7yr old but make him brush his teeth and he goes to bed cause he has school the next day. He's in 1st grade cause his b-day falls in november. My 2yr old goes to bed too without me doing anything too. My son just turned 7 and even at 6 never needed anything special cause I tell him everyday hes not a baby and I say that sometimes when he tries to play with his sister and her toys, umm no thats baby toys leave them alone, lol
    Anonymous

• anon..my son (age 5) reads anywhere from one to four books every night. it is good for children to read and to have a routine. if your children dont need one...wonderful. by the way, on the nights that he fights with me, i think he may be over tired so i do sit with him (not rock him) but i do the singing and relaxing stuff.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2009