Did you read to your children as infants?

And if so, are they very intelligent with their speech and vocabulary?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 9:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes I did and I still do every night
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yes I have read to all of my children starting at around 4 months. My oldest has autism, so he's a little bit different case (although compared to the other kids in his class he is VERY verbal). My 2nd two are very intelligent, both identified AG in language and math. My baby is now 13 months and he "talks" a lot (few words we can understand yet - mama, dada, rock rock, sissy, uh oh, and bye bye). He also will sit and "read" books by himself for a long time, looking at the pictures and turning the pages.

Answer by missanc at 9:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I did and I even read to them when I was pregnant with them. They are 5, 4 and 2 and they all speak very well and love to read and be read to.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I have been reading to our boys since they were infants.. Yes they all spoke at an early age, they all love books, and their speech, and vocabulary has always been good. I'm not really sure if that was why, it could be that we were very lucky to have very well adjusted children, but I'm sure it didn't hurt!
    The teachers at school tell me they can tell our boys were introduced to books at a very young age because of how they participate in class with reading etc.. I'm very proud of them, and will continue to read to them, and have them read to me..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I didn't really, maybe every once in a while, but they weren't interested, even at a year old they would just grab the book away and try to chew on it. But by 18 months or so they really got into them and loved being read to. They were on the slower side with language development, especially my son, but at 4 years old I think he has a normal vocabulary, he's very hard to understand though. My daughter just turned 2 and in the last few months her language skills have just exploded, she has a large vocabulary and is probably easier to understand than my son. I don't know how her speech or vocabulary is compared to other 2 year olds but it's much more advanced than my son's was.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yes. My oldest son & my oldest daughter both have learning disabilities & had a hard hard time learning to read even though I always read to my kids regularly. My younger son learned to read before he went to school. He's 15 now. I also have 2 younger daughters. (they are 3 & 4 right now.) My 4 yr old is very advanced in her speech & recognizes lots of words when she sees them.
    I love to read & it was very hard for me when it was discovered my oldest had learning problems that affected his being able to read fluently. He's much improved now (he's 19) but for many years he read at a low level & really hated to read at all (who could blame him! If you had to struggle so hard, its easy to begin to resent it). My older daughter (she's 12) has dyslexia & had a hard time learning to read but just like her brother she caught up (she actually caught up much quicker then he did) It really just depends on the child
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 9:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yes. Everyday. There is a great Sesame Street book. It has Elmo has a puppet and I think it is the song If Your Happy and You Know it. Creating a love of books helps during in a lot of ways I didn't expect. We keep books in the care so she has something to entertain her. I take different books while we run errands. I find my LO (now 2 1/2) "reading" quietly by herself all the time.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yes and she is now 19m with a basically unlimited vocabulary (we stopped counting new words when she was 17 months and already over 500 words) and speaking in sentences. She LOVES books and reading now, she would be perfectly happy if I literally read books to her all day long!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Since the day I brought my daughter home at 2 days old I have read to her. The hospital we went to actually gives all newborns some kind of book from some organization. She got an ABC zoo book from them. I read to her almost everyday and we lay on the floor on our backs and she just kicks and smiles the whole time I read to her (she is 9 months old). I can not tell you about her speech because she only says Hi, dada, daddy, mama, baba, woof, and yaya...but I do not seem any harm in reading to your child.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yes I read to my kids every night when they were small. My daughter's favorite story was Beauty And The Beast and my son's was Goodnight Moon. My son is living with autism, and so reading to him was a bit of a challenge with his short attention span, but both of my kids still have a great love of books!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2009