how do i control the temper tantrums my 18month old son is having! and the really high pitched scream he is doing =(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• everyone told me to ignore him. dont give him the attention for the tantrum because it shows them that he can get attention doing that.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• When my son has a tantrum I make sure he is in a safe place and I walk away. Don't engage him because that will prolong it. My son's tantrum last a total of ten seconds when I don't give in. Send the message now that tantrums are not going to work.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• my 14 month old will shrivel to the ground all limp and lay there and fuss at me if he isn't getting what he wants. i make sure he won't get hurt, and i just walk away and ignore it. he is up again within about 10 seconds and back to doing something else. if you react in any way other than to ignore it it will just be giving him the attention he wants. don't give in. he has to learn how to communicate without crying and screaming.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My 24 month old is the same way. I put him in his room and tell him he can come out when he's happy. Sometimes he's in there every 10 minutes. But sometimes now, he will walk himself in there when he's mad.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2009