Should I bring my 1y/o to the hospital??

Hey all, I have a 15 month old son and he's been very congested and coughing, sneezing for the last 4 days (since thanksgiving). He just woke up (it's 9:51pm where I am) and he should be sound asleep right now. He woke up and started being fussy and threw up a bit. I took his temp with one of those ear thermometers and it said 99.2. I know b4 when he had similar symptoms he had a pretty bad ear infection. When he does have an ear infection he NEVER pulls at his ears or anything. I dont know what to do.

I want to bring him to the hospital but not sure if i'm just wasting time. I did give him some meds but this was only about 2 hrs ago and I dont think his temp should b that high.

His DR is in PA and I am in NJ and his appt isnt until next Tuesday. Please help =\

LilBitzx32406

Asked by LilBitzx32406 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would medicate as the other ladies have suggested. Run a humidifier and keep an eye on him until morning. You really don't want to bring him to an ER. Yes, he probably has a cold and maybe an ear infection, but 99.2 is no reason to bring him in. There are really sick people with who knows what at the hospital, it would be worse to expose him to that. If you think it may be his ears get out some olive oil and warm it lightly past room temp. so it is barely warm to the touch and put a couple of drops in each ear. My kids love it. My youngest actually asks for the oil when his ears bug him. It sooths the irritation. Hope he feels better soon.
    Oh, and call the ped. in the morning. They'll pencil you in.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i think you should keep an eye on his temp. put a humidifier in his room if you have one. (if not, sit in a bathroom with a running hot shower-the steam helps), and call the dr in the morning.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• When my oldest was under 2, he would get frequent ear infections. 9 times out of 10, his only sign would be the fever he would begin to have. If you think it's necessary, take him. One thing you can try, if you haven't already is to alternate Tylenol and Motrin. I believe you can give it every 2 hrs. Tylenol first, then two hours later Motrin, etc., or vice versa. I hope he feels better soon.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• forgot to add-alternate motrin and tylenol
    good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• "His DR is in PA and I am in NJ and his appt isnt until next Tuesday"

I am 2 hours away from his pedi. so callin her wouldnt do me any good =\

LilBitzx32406

Answer by LilBitzx32406 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• baby's tylenol and motrin doesnt do anything for him so I his DR presribes ibuprofen and it normally works but it isnt now..

LilBitzx32406

Answer by LilBitzx32406 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2009