Dialation question

I'm 36 1/2 weeks and went to the dr today. I'm dialated 1 1/2 cm. Last week, I went in with contractions 6 minutes apart and my dr gave me meds to stop them. I figured that he would take her this week once I make 37 weeks but he's going to wait and let everything take its course. I'm not sure about this because I'm having a c-section. I never went into labor with my first and couldn't dialate at all even with being induced with cervidil and pit. Therefore, had to have a c-section. I know many moms are dialated for several weeks before actually going into labor but my question is how long were you before going labor?? I'm still having contractions (minor), lots and lots of discharge (some tinged brown), and blood pressure on the high side. I'm worried about going into labor and getting to the hospital on time because we are an hour away from our hospital.

BethanyB930

Asked by BethanyB930 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The reason you didnt dialate is because you were induced and your body wasnt ready. Something like 40% of inductions turn into c-sections, because the body just wasnt ready. If you had waited a little longer, I'm sure your body wouldve dialated and birthed no problem. (I dont know why you were induced, I'm just speculating). It's been proven to be MUCH better to let your body go into labor on its own, even if you are planning a c-section. That way you KNOW the baby is ready to be born. Contractions help to clear the baby's lungs for birth, also.
    Anonymous

• At 37 weeks I was 5 cm dilated, 75% effaced and contracting. Lost my mucous plug, brown/pink discharge. When I actually went into real labor at 39 weeks I went in still at 5 cm. and within 2 hours I was 7 cm and then just 20 minutes later i was fully dilated and I pushed for only 25 min. and I had my daughter.

At 1 1/2 cm. dilated you have nothing to worry about. When you start to really progress...you WILL absolutely KNOW. it will be some pretty bad pain once you get around 5 cm. When the pain changes and you think to yourself "Oh my God, this IS bad." That's when you need to get to the hospital and even then...you will most likely have at LEAST a few hours. You will be fine! don't worry!
    Anonymous

• You didnt dilate because your body wasn't ready, a failed induction is not the same thing as having a normal labor at all. Being dilated or not has nothing to do with when labor will start, you can go from 0 to 10 cm dilated in a couple of hours but you can also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many many weeks. The chances of having an extremely fast labor are not that great, it happens but its not common at all. I have no idea if i was ever dilated before labor because i never get checked during pregnancy and with my last i didn't get checked at all, not even during labor.
    Are you having a VBAC or repeat c-section?
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I was dilated 3 cm for 2 weeks and had minor contractions for 3 weeks before I had my son. I went almost 2 weeks overdue with him and had to be induced with a prostaglandin pill.
    I would not worry too much, the baby is going to take the time they need to grow and develop normally BUT if you just can't get it off your mind then just go in and get checked to feel better.
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 9:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Dilation means nothing. Did you know that some women don't dilate at all until active labor? This is normal. Inductions often fail because the body just is not ready, You didn't need a c-section..what you needed was patience that the medical staff did not provide. They could have just sent you home to wait instead of forcing the issue.

Your body is working towards labor everyday . Pay no attention to dilation...it is subjective and has a very wide variation of normal.

You can go to www.ican.org and look into VBAC so that you know what to expect if you go into labor spontaneously. You don't necessarily need a c-section again. And there is nothig wrong with your cervix
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

I have no idea what my dilation and effacement was...I had no vaginal exams and had no desire to. I was more than confiden that my uterus and cervix were doing what they were designed to do and I didn't need fingers in my vagina to confirm it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i would wait until labor began naturally. that way you know baby is ready. at 37 weeks, some babies are ready but some have serious problems if they are "taken" so soon. it is extremely rare that you would not dilate. were you past 42 weeks and not dilated? you probably just needed more time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• 1.5cm at 37 weeks sounds totally normal to me and so does having contractions. I wouldnt have thought that the doctor would take the baby this week based on that information.

I was 1-2cm dilated at 31 weeks with baby #2 and had her when I was induced at 38 1/2 weeks. Like another poster, I was 5cm at 37 weeks.

I was 1-2cm dilated at 29 weeks with baby #3 and am now 33 weeks and very much still pregnant and plan on staying that way until near my due date
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I just re-read your question to make sure I fully answered it and wanted to touch on a few other things...

If you had a cervical check today then its totally normal to have brown discharge, I wouldnt trip on that one at all. And an hour drive to the hospital really isnt that bad.

As for your first "induction" why did you end up with the section? Why didnt you just go home? I had a failed induction with my first (I had to have surgery at 37 weeks so they had to take the baby first) and I went home over night and came back the next day (that was after a 3 day failed induction) and 2 1/2 hours in to labor I had my son. I wouldnt have had a section if I wasnt contracting or dilating... you could have gone home
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• update: I went in to see my family practitioner today for a bad cough. My blood pressure was up and my heart rate was crazy high. I had a trace of protein in my urine and she suggested that I go into the hospital to get checked out. On the way, I stopped to use the restroom and had lost my mucus plug. I'm still having strong contractions 5 minutes apart but still no leaking fluid. They checked me and I'm a 2 now. They sent me home to let things take it's course. I guess we're are going to just have to wait and see what happens. My dr. told me that he didn't want to deliver me this early unless I'm in final phase of labor. When he checked me, he said that he could feel the baby's head so she is in position. So we prolly aren't going to have to wait too much longer.
    BethanyB930

Answer by BethanyB930 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009