Is Yaz okay for a 17-year-old?

I am not having sex. I just wanted to mention that first. But about the time I'm due to start, I get really sick (emotionally and physically), like to the point where I can't drive, do homework or anything. I tried talking about this problem to my doctor, who just put me on a regular pill (Ortho Trinessa, I think it was). I hated it. Got off it, tried to get Yaz, but our insurance company won't pay for it. I got some 3-month samples at the doctor's office and it worked fine. My mom has argued with the insurance company so many times, and they still won't approve our request. All they'll cover is the pill I didn't like and services for pregnant teens (by "services" I mean prenatal care, programs for expecting teen moms, any medical care the baby may need). I could talk to a gynecologist, but no matter what, Yaz is not going to be covered. If they don't pay for it, we'll have to pay $250 for not even a year's supply. Thoughts?

alienshore

Asked by alienshore at 10:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If they aren't going to pay for it, and you're not going to pay for it, it is obviously out of the question, so why don't you just try to find something else that works?
    Anonymous

• And also, if you're not having sex, do you have kids? Why are you on here if you don't have kids? If you DO have kids, I recommend you go talk to your doc about getting an IUD. If not most docs wont do an IUD.
    Anonymous

• Your doctor should be the one arguing with the insurance company, other than that, there isn't much else you can do
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Anonymous, 10:26, Nov. 30:
    1) No other site let me ask this question.
    2) Since I'm a teen, I am going to contribute my thoughts as to why kids and teens act the way they do (and I'm not the only user on here who doesn't have kids).
    3) My mom told me to ask this. She didn't make an account because she doesn't have any time to go online.
    4) Thank you (and you too, Zakysmommy) for your prompt answers :)
    alienshore

Answer by alienshore at 10:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I was on Yaz for a short time because after I got married we started TTC. The time I was on it though, I liked it. You could try Seasonal that worked better for me than Yaz! :D
    lovinthislife08

Answer by lovinthislife08 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Oh, and my insurance paid for Seasonal then they switched to generic which was AWFUL!! Nothing like the name brand!!
    lovinthislife08

Answer by lovinthislife08 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I am on Yaz and it works wonders!!! Try planned parenthood, you could get the pills for about $20 a month.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2009