Any advice? My nerves are frazzled!

My 27 month old used to be a breeze at bedtime...Now, I have to sit in the room for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at naptime and bedtime before she will fall asleep. She can now also climb out of her crib and she crawls out while I am asleep late at night or early in the morning. That makes this an even worse situation b/c I'm afraid she will accidentally hurt herself or get into something. I'm exhausted. I've been sitting in the room since 8:30 (its 10:00 now) and I'm so tired. I've put her back into bed probably 6 times and I hear her walking around up there as I type. My DH works nights and I have no support. Any suggestions for getting her to sleep in her bed??? P.S. I'm not a spanking mom, we do time outs, but I just feel like I want to go there. Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think maybe it's time for a toddler bed. She may look at the fact that she can get out of the crib as play time. Getting her into a routine before bed helps too. An hour before bed time, give her a bath, read her a story, do something that will wind her down. Once she gets into the same routine, when you do those things, she'll get sleepy because It her mind will know that it's almost time for bed. It just sounds like she just has the energy of a normal toddler and doesn't know what to do with all of it lol. I also suggest some more active play time during the day to wear her out. I hope this advice is useful and I wish you the best of luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• watch an episode of super nanny. she has a technique that looks pretty effective!
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Thank you nicolemstacey. I have been contemplating converting the crib to the toddler bed so thanks for the reassurance that this might work. Maybe I do need to make a more concise routine as well. Right now, we do dinner, bath, watch a kid show, read a book, brush teeth, and to bed. Maybe if I cut out the tv show, she would sleep better. As for activity, she's a very active kid and runs all day with the little boy I babysit. I honsetly don't know where all of her energy comes from b/c she eats like a bird.
    Anonymous

• Yes ditch the crib! Big girl bed here we come!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• **honestly
    Anonymous

• Toddler bed and a baby gate at the door to keep her from wandering.
    Anonymous

• I WISH a baby gate could keep her in! She can climb out of her crib and over any gate. Thanks to gymnastics... :-(
    Anonymous

• I agree with the others, if shes climbing out of the crib then its time for a bed. Also, does she nap during the day? Try moving her nap up to an earlier time, maybe shes just not tired at bed time. I also wouldnt sit in the room with her, thats a habit that you don't want to start. Its better to teach her to self soothe now, then to wait till shes 6 or 7.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• ...I watched an episode of Super Nanny and she said to keep putting them back to bed until they give up... it took the mom in the episode 45 mins...
    egriffin1231

Answer by egriffin1231 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Haha it's hilarious how everything in Super Nanny happens so miraculously fast! I love Jo Foster though, that lady knows her stuff!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009