I need help with my kids, age 7 and 3. They always talk back to me and never do what I say. They yell and scream and fight.

I guess I'm supposed to be consistent, but does that mean time outs every 2 seconds? What am I supposed to do :( Please don't bash me too bad, I already feel like a crappy mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are not a crappy mom. It's tough raising kids this day in age. So many not-so-great influences out there. I would limit their television watching (and only allow education/and- or Christian programs. No video games. (unless they are truly educational... like v-tec or something... no grand theft auto stuff) Also, have you tried taking them to church and Sunday school? I feel that once children learn and understand about God and His love, they know He is watching and they want to start glorifying Him (making him happy). Raise a child in the way of the Lord and he will alwasy return to that way. Good luck. I'll pray for you.
    Anonymous

• i'm a mom of 3 girls, 1 boy. age 11, 6,2, & 5 months. So I understand how you feel. I started a system it seems to help -if they are good they get a smile face & the faces are like money for the kids. 2 :) =1 hour of t.v. 2 :) = the playground 4 :) a trip to mcdonalds 30 :) for mom to pay for my kids to join t ball etc. I bought a wipe of white board I made a calendar & I keep track of the :). Once they realize your seriously going to make them earn everything they will act better the 3 yr old following the 7 yr old. Also keep using time outs 1 min per age. ( or you can buy play money, which the kids earn then spend)
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Thanks for the ideas :) I'm having a hard time explaining to my 7 year old daughter that she influences what her little brother does. He does whatever she does, and if she's being bad, then I have 2 bad kids automatically. I like the :) idea, and also getting our butts back in church!
    Anonymous

• ugh, i hate time outs, they never work, not in my house. my oldest, now a teenager, got spanked a couple of times, she never did that again. the little one is still too little for spanking and isnt as bad as the teenager was. my teen as she got older i didnt spank, not at 7 or anything, but once she did something bad, so when she went to school, i got to work. I took everything except her mattress out of her room and she didnt get it back for a month. I even took her bed frame away because she loved decorating it. the only thing she got to keep was her alarm clock, no radio. i tell you, she never did it again.
    Anonymous

• You need to tell them one time what you want. Either they do it or you spank their little butts. I guarantee they will stop talking back to you pretty quickly. Also, every time they get into a fight, separate them. I used to put them in their rooms and make them stay there until they felt they could get along. It might be a good idea to put them in each other's rooms, so they don't have their stuff to play with. You can be creative, but the bottom line is that you should be the queen of your own castle. You should be the woman in charge, and your children should be respectful and obedient. You have to make them want to be those things, and spanking their tails works every time it is tried. It will not warp their personalites nor turn them into abusers. You will have well-behaved, respectful children whom you can be proud to take anywhere, because you know they will instantly obey their mother.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes that DOES mean time outs every 2 seconds. They did not get like this over night, they won't be corrected over night either. Be strong, stick to your guns...no matter how many times. Get a grip on them now, or trust me they will eat you alive!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009