Please tell me that at some point I will have a holiday season that I will enjoy.

Every year its the same thing. Last minute shopping, struggling to decorate and just this intense pressure to be Christmassy.

I hate this time of year and I have no reason too. But every year I joyously wait for Jan. 2. when its all over. The only good thing is going to Church.

My mom is practically Mrs. Claus herself, and adores Christmas. I like having a tree up, but don't like actually doing it. Money is always extremely tight. Even when we save all year, the car needs a repair or something and the money is gone. We don't have C. Cards nor the credit to get one so its cash only for us. Tell me that there will be one Christmas, I can enjoy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i feel the same way...having to buy crap for family that you only see once a yr is pretty crappy. I dont like doing it but i always feel obligated to do it and i feel like it takes away from my family
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Why pay out money for xmas? I have not purchased xmas gifts in years and won't. I give my time as my gift. With each grandkid I do something just with that child (play a game, bake a cake together, read a book). I make a memory. For adults I might bake their favorite food or volunteer to help them paint their kitchen. Find something to do and not something to buy. I have enjoyed it ever since I started doing this since no one seemed to appreciate the things I bought anyway. This way they remember and seem to enjoy what I give now.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Do something Charitable-ask for the names of a needy family at your church and see what they need this Christmas, then ask your friends to help them.Collect food in bags donated by your neighbpors and give it to the food bank in your town. MAKE gifts that are under $10.00 for your family. Listen to Christmas music while sitting all by yourself and counting all your blessings. THEN maybe you will enjoy this Holiday season!!!! It is all about giving and being thankful.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You will start to enjoy Christmas the moment you really understand and focus on what Christmas is truly about. You said that you enjoy the going to church part and that's great. But, on the whole you are way too focused on the materialistic side of Christmas. Gaudy decorations, crowded malls with pushy shoppers, and neatly wrapped presents that you kids will forget about in several months is not what Christmas is about.

If you need to, volunteer somewhere to get into the spirit of things. Maybe you could lend a hand with a project at your church? I used to volunteer to do filing at the hospital. They're always way backed up on their filing and were always so greatful for the 2 hours I volunteered a week. Some how you need to find a way to give back (of yourself, not your money...money is way tight for us too) in your community so you can get out of your humbug funk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You need to do what you truly want for Christmas not what you think others or society think you need to do. Until you do this you will never have a happy holiday. I learned this and now only buy for people I want to and only decorate what I want and only do the things I want to do.
    some years I do more and some years I do less, all depends on what I feel like that year and I don't let anyone else's idea of what Christmas is dictate what I do.
    Anonymous

• I hate Christmas too, for two reasons. First, my birthday is December 4, and it's always outshined by stupid Christmas. Second, no one really remembers the reason for the holiday. It's all about buying as much crap as possible, trying to make everyone happy by going to other people's houses and eating their crappy food while trying not to get too drunk ;) so you're not bored lol! I think next year we're going to say f it and go to Disneyland or some crap and ditch the entire family and do something FUN for once!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I always splurge on my kids. As far as other family members are concerned: FUCK EM! Pick 3 favorite family members. And there should be qualifications, Who has brought gifts for my kids the last 5 years in a row? Stuff like that. Find 3, and give those 3 gifts and be done with it. If you're feeling guilty about that, everybody else can get SOCKS. That's one gift that can always be utilized. People of all ages need and wear,socks.
    Dmommy4

Answer by Dmommy4 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I felt the same way too not that long ago. It finally bothered me enough to realise the difference between the way i felt about the holidays ( stressed, anxious, rushed, not satisfied) and seeing someone who was always laughing or smiling, sincerely happy, energetic. I really wondered what i was missing.had to slow down and think about what i could add to each thing i did to make me FEEL like it wasn't a chore.I had been so caught up in doing everything , getting it done and doing it properly, that it wasn't at all attached to any kind of enjoyable emotion but more like me being hard on myself. So, i started just letting go of the impossible expectations i had of myself to make things perfect for everyone and found that keeping my own happiness actually made everyone around me happier too.Change a little, make new family traditions, when decorating the tree stop and have hot coco and cake, take crazy pics, invite a friend.
    zarine

Answer by zarine at 12:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I call them hallmark holidays. Not so much Christmas, because thats the birth of Christ. But, it has lost its true meaning and I swear I think hallmark makes up the friggin holidays just so we have a reason to spend money!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I feel the same way you do. There is so much pressure to have the perfectly decorated home. My home isn't clean enough to decorate. I wanted to get some cleaning done over Thansgiving weekend, but we all got the stomach flu. I feel like I should acknowledge teachers and friends who have supported us this past year, but how much should I spend and what should I get? I hate shopping for my son. He has more toys then he ever plays with and doesn't take care of anything. But, he doesn't want to part with anything either and we are running out of room to store all the crap he has collected.

I would rather just give to charity where I know I am meeting a need and the gifts are appreciated.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009