How do I prepare my 3 year old for the new baby coming home?

My baby was born 2 weeks ago, he was premature and still in the hospital. He will be coming home soon. I need some advice on how to prepare my daughter for him being home.

luvmybabe256

Asked by luvmybabe256 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I just took it as it came. My son is three and I have a three month old. It's not easy. He wasnt jealous at first, but lately if he gets made, something gets broken. I tried talking to him about it and showing him whats going to happen. I let him help me with his new brother. Nothing seems to work for me. Just make sure your eyes are always peeled. A few weeks ago while they were with daddy while I was job searching, I came home and noticed babys pants were off... I said umm why didnt you put his pants back on, dad says, he had pants on? I said, uhhhh yes. He said oh, I guess david took them off. oh i was SOOOOOOO mad. my 3 yr old took off my 2 month olds (at the time) pants off of him, and no one noticed. Well anyway, thats my experience. Good luck!!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Is there a sibling class at the hospital?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• involve your oldest in the care of the baby like fetching diapers, helping to wipe the baby (after you do of course) etc.
    then make special playdates for just the 2 of you while daddy watches the baby and then daddy can have a play date while you keep the baby. doesn't have to be anywhere that costs $$$ sometimes just the park , maybe McDonalds, going to visit family or friends etc etc just an hour or 2, 2-4 times a month
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2009