earlier today...

there was a question about only having a few presents for Christmas and I basically said-we are in the same boat-that we won't have much either and I am goona bake cookies and we will go look at lights and that we have our decorations and movies and hot choco and would make the best of it with those things and someone had suggested (before my answer) that the reason for the holiday is Jesus anyhow and not to worry about gifts or whatever-so I added that for us it isn't about Jesus.
ANYHOW, an anonymous poster then says this: "Then WHY do you celebrate CHRISTMAS--- Good Grief... some people have absolutely NO CLUE. If you don't believe in Jesus... then there is no reason to even celebrate..." to which I replied: "
cont...

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 11:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Holidays

• Here's my take on it. I'm a Christian. Christmas, to me and my family, is a very holy time, and it's a time of reflection and celebration of the love of Christ for us, and that should carry over to how we treat others during this season (well, it should ALWAYS carry over, but this season especially). One of my best friends is Pagan. To her, there is no religious significance to her, it's all about presents, time with family and friends, goodwill, and basically all the things it means to me, with the subtraction of Christ as the "key element".

Now, at Halloween, to me and my family, it's about playing pretend (no "scary" or "evil" sorts of costumes - we do whimsical or funny ones), and about getting and giving candy. To her, there is a lot of significance to her faith during that time of yr.

We're both good with the way the other celebrates both their "own" holiday, and "our" holiday. To each their own...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• "Is it so wrong that I LOVE the season and the idea of peace and the lights and trees and Santa?
    the idea of good will and love?

I personally find it sad that SOME people don't want others to celebrate something that they feel is only for CERTAIN people.
    I hope you have a wonderful holiday and I hope we do too :) "

so it has kinda bugged me all day...I guess my question is basically- why do you guys think it is a big deal to her if I or anyone else who isn't Christian to like the season and the decorations and whatnot...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• In college I dated a Jewish guy. Come the holidays - he gave me a Christmas present and I gave him Hanukkah gifts. I wasn't Jewish and he wasn't Christian, but it didn't matter because we were doing something nice for someone else. The Holidays are a time for celebration for some people that is family, for some religion and for some nothing at all. But to belittle others for their beliefs just doesn't seem to be Christian at all! So, maybe she (and others) forget what they preach and need to find a hobby, other than religion because clearly they didn't get it right.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 12:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well thats just silly. Even if you aren't christian you can celebrate the reason for the season...and I DONT mean the birth of Christ but what that birth stood for. Hope, and love, and giving. Many people on here get testy and point out things like Christ wasnt REALLY born on Dec 25th and that its ORIGINALLY a PAGAN holiday and therefor Christians are stupid. Neither of these helps anyone and are JUST as disrespectful as the response you were given before! Just curious, do you say Merry Christmas? Do the santa thing? I dont think people need to get so hung up on who is right or wrong....and I mean BOTH sides!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ..I guess my question is basically- why do you guys think it is a big deal to her if I or anyone else who isn't Christian to like the season and the decorations and whatnot...

I agree.

If anyone at all is the least bit concerned about it, they don't have enough to do.

That includes you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Since as near as historians can tell, Christ was born in September, and the Christmas traditions central to North American celebrations are almost wholly European pagan winter festival pieces, it's kind of hard to justify. If the Christians really want to take back the holiday, they're welcome to re-align it with their calendar and maybe we could all to rename it Santa Day or whatever...

Of course, the reason the Christian church adopted all the European pagan festival rites was to welcome European pagans into the fold... perhaps they're done with them, now?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• And actually, the reason for Christmas being celebrated as the day of Christs birth when it is, is because during the times of ancient Rome and the early church, Christians were persecuted for their faith. But, there was a major Roman holiday that was celebrated during this time and Christians celebrated then to avoid persecution. Sort of like using the fish as a symbol, because Christ told His disciples that they would be "fishers of men"...

But there are a lot of faiths - not just Christian with other faiths, but other faiths with each other as well, that "overlap" so to speak. But, if you think about it, there are a lot of various "holy days", and only so many days of the yr, so.. Just look at Easter - it's based on the Jewish Passover dates, but there are a lot of pagan things that happen on that day, too. Neither side "stole" it from the other side, they just happen to occur at the same time...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If you don't believe in Jesus there is no need for any "gifts". You need to understand the reason behind the gift. You can of course do whatever you want, but you really sound a bit immature and uneducated regarding the whole season and reason behind gift giving.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Actually, that's not true... I am a Christian, but the thing is, there are a lot of faiths with roots in gift giving during this time. The Jewish faith gives Hanukkah gifts - it became widespread in the 17th century. Pagans in Roman times exchanged small gifts during certain major feasts, etc. The Magi brought gifts for Jesus because it was tradition, or basically, the socially expected thing, to do when visiting someone of importance - you brought him gifts. Which is why they brought Jesus gifts, because they were recognizing He was an important person.

There are a lot of faiths that celebrate with exchanging gifts at this time. We Christians are one of them. Personally, I would rather "share" the secular aspects of the season with people who don't share my faith, and have it continued to be called Christmas, than to say they can't if they don't believe, and have the name Christmas done away with in popular culture.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

I like to give gifts because it makes me happy- and what is wrong with giving? Part of it for me is also that i grew up in a Christian household and we always had gifts AND Santa as well as the whole "it's Jesus' birthday" and going to church before we ever got to open any of them... so what you are saying is that now I have no right to give a gift if I don't believe that it is for his birthday?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2009