I'm going to breastfeed for the first should I....

Learn about the pump I purchased by opening the package it s a pump n style by medela or should I wait and maybe take it with me when I delivery and have the nurses show me how it works. I feel overhelmed by the whole thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should learn it before you go. You wont be pumping milk while your at the hospital. After you have your kid like 3 different people will come in telling you about breast feeding. Depending on how you feel you can ask about it then.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• definitely take it with you! are you planning to pump and feed or did you buy the pump as a back up if things don't go too smoothly at first?
    Don't feel overwhelmed! It takes time a lot of the times for both you and baby to get the hang of it, and sometimes it's a breeze!
    Definitely talk to the hospital's lactation nurse/consultant...
    You may be able to google reviews or even how to videos online or on youtube on how to use it!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:56 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would open it up first read the instructions and it needs to be cleaned before you use it. check with your hospital to see if they offer lactation counseling before you give birth, sometimes they will have someone who will talk to you answer questions and give you tips for possible issues that may come up. Contact your local la leche league they are very helpful and many resources for teaching and support as you learn both before and after your baby is born.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• first off---props for breastfeeding mom! and good luck once baby gets here... i just had my first 4.5 months ago and knew i was going to breastfeed from day one... if nothing else it saves you like $1300/yr and so convenient to always have baby's food on you. anyway... i didn't get a pump until he was about 4 weeks old i think, when he started having a few problems nursing, which might happen and if it does... just hang tough. i think if you're that nervous about it go ahead and take it to the hospital with you, because you will have nurses/lactation consultants all over your boobs while you're there, and that'll be the best time to get used to it and comfortable. i just kinda went with it once i started using mine, which wasn't til later when i started storing milk for when i went back to work. good luck with it mama!
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 3:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Call the hospital lactation consultant. I remember my husband and I laughing so hard trying to figure out how the pump worked; it took us about an hour...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i think i opened mine up and started exploring it when my baby was a few weeks old. be careful, some nurses are really ignorant about breastfeeding! of course some are great! a lactation consultant would be good. but really you shouldn't start pumping for a few weeks after baby is born unless absolutely necessary. congrats!!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• oh mine was a lansinoh and it came with a video! boring video but raelly helpful. lol
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry about it for a couple of weeks or even months. Assuming you're planning to wait a bit to use it, though.
    If you are overwhelmed now then I would suggest waiting for a while. You can start La Leche League meetings now and eventually ask the leaders-consultants for help.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• First.. Congrats on your LO to come!

Second.. Have you already got the pump and are wondering if you should open it first or just take it to the hospital?? If so, then I would DEFINITELY suggest opening it up and messing around w/it; getting to know the machine and how it works, cleaning it so it's ready for use (depending on how far along you are).

Third.. Whether or not you decide to bring it I would definitely talk to a lactation consultant at the hospital.

Also, if you aren't already a member, there's a breastfeeding group on CM that might be helpful... Good Luck Mama!
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2009