What are the essentials to put in your hospital bag?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I googled it and it came up with different lists.
    I found that bringing something to do while you wait such as reading, board/card games, cd player with fav music are good things to pack as well as things you'd pack going on a 2-4 day trip.
    Personal hygiene stuff such as toothbrush, deoderant, pads you like :)
    An outfit to go home in, pj's or nightgowns to wear, slippers, couple pairs of socks, a favorite pillow....
    Camera, so cash for quick snacks....
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Comfy clothes like pj's. Slippers. A camera. You will be wearing this huge pad and hospital underwear so dont worry about bringing those...The hospital should provide diapers atleast mine did. Just to be safe some diapers and wipes...I think thats all I brought.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about bringing Entertainment. You wont have time. My labor lasted for 9 hours and during those 9 I was not interested in games. Yea a pillow would be good. Oh if you dont mind your kid having a pacifier bring those. Different kinds though.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Hair bands, scrunchiis or whatever you use to put your hair up or out of your face. An outfit to have your babies picture taken in and one to go home in. I packed a portable CD palyer or if you have an ipod pack that. I used this to drowned out all the annoying people in and out of my room. I was induced and it took 3 days so I would pack a book, a crossword or word search book, or a handheld game. Something to keep you occupied. Comfy clothes to come home in. A robe, and nice night shirt or something for when people come to visit and take pictures. PILLOWS are a must...hospital pillows are the worst.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Some things I was happy to have....chapstick, gum -if they let you have it, scented body spray type stuff cause i hated the hospital smell. My hubby brought movies to watch while we were waiting to fully dilate-good to be able to be distracted a little. The tiniest outfit you can find for babys first pics.
    proudmama511

Answer by proudmama511 at 3:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• babies outfits, breast pads in case your milk comes in, I would suggest Tucks pads just in case you tear or anything, obviously the carseat, I took my ipod but never listened to it, A camera, bathroom stuff (deoderant, toothbrush, toothpaste, brush, hair ties, shampoos) comfy clothes to come home in (I wouldn't advise jeans. I was really sore the day I got to come home). Anything else the hospital will most likely have. I packed WAY too much stuff that I didnt even end up using.
    Ambereno144

Answer by Ambereno144 at 3:45 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Chapstick , cloth headband. You might want to put your hair in to braids if its long. My hair became one giant rats nest from rubbing it against my bedding. I don't like the pony tail because its uncomfortable when you rest your head against it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Make sure you leave some extra room in your bag - the hospital may give you stuff to take home. Mine gave me a couple small packs of diapers, wipes, formula, supplies for a breast pump, bottles, pacifiers, etc. I barely made it all fit!

Answer by missanc at 8:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i ended up having a c-section, so i was way overpacked, but i recommend...
    nightgown, slippers, stretchy pants, underwear you don't mind staining, LOTION! (the morphine they gave me made me itch horribly and it helped), music of some sort, your own pillow, chapstick, light snacks (saltines, cheeze-it, popsicles), shower stuff, hair ties, all your baby's stuff, your phone and charger, a camera and extra batteries or charger, and pictures that make you smile.
    ChelC12

Answer by ChelC12 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i really wished i had taken some healthy snacks because i felt so hungry!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2009