Disiplining a 2.5 year old?!

How do i do it?! I have tried lite spankings, time outs, threats... which all dont have any affect! Im going crazy! My dd tells me no constantly and throws huge temper tantrums and i feel so embarressed especially in public. I dont want to give into her and a rarely do but i dont know what to do. I feel like im constantly walking on egg shells if you know what i mean?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't give in to her. EVER. ...there should be no "rarely". When you are in public and she throws a fit take her out to the car and put her in the car. Then stand out side and let her scream it out.
    when you are at home and she throws a tantrum walk away. make sure she is safe of course ...but just walk away and do not come back until she is finished. No matter what she says. ignore it. for as long as it takes.
    give her warnings like "in 5 minutes i'm going to ask you to clean up" or "we have to leave in 5 minutes". Also, when you ask her to stop say it directly and try to focus on what she SHOULD do. "Please use your fork to eat your food". instead of "dont eat with your hands". ...when she doesn't comply say "1 ....2 ... 3. ...You have 2 choices. You can your food with your fork OR you can go to time out" if she still does not comply count to 3 again and if you get to 3 then put her in time out. If she complies
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• before you get to 3 then you got exactly what you wanted.
    She is also not too young to take away privileges. Say she climbs up onto your entrainment center. Get her down and tell her that if she climbs it again you will take away her TV time (or whatever suitable privilege).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• take away something they love...i know what you mean mines the same age....usually time outs sometimes work but what really works is taking away something she loves like a tv show or toy and etc......good luck
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 3:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009