FS for 9 years?

I know the PA questions are asked alot but I really wanted you ladies input on this one. Before I start let me state that I am not against PA and think it a great program for those in need. Ok. About 5 years ago we lived in Apts that were based on income and did a 6 month stint on foodstamps. I made a great friend there who had a child the age of mine. Her and her dh divorced, she omoved away and we lost touch. We recently reconnected and have been talking for a few weeks. She made a comment about a FS appt, and asked if I was stil on them, I said no, and she said she had been on them since her son was born, thats 9 years!! I was shocked and have to say I thought of you ladies :) Do you think there should be a time limit or something? 9 years is a long time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't really have a problem with it as long as she's using them to feed her son. Not all situations are ideal and I'm glad that he's one less kid in our country going hungry. I think it would be better if she got a higher paying job, but I think we could all use a raise. I guess she has 9 more years to figure out how to afford to live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Honestly yes that is a problem foodstamps and other assitance is suppose to be temporary not something you live off of. She should had found a way to support her and her child on her own by now.
    I too am not against it when it is needed but 9 years is way to long to be on it.
    Good for you tho gettting on your feet. That is awesome!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Maybe her situation is that she is doing the best she can, it is hard to say without knowing if she is married or maybe her dh got laid off or she did, kwim? (Not that I am asking for personal info.) It's hard to say, lots of people do milk the system and I am sure that is just one more reason why our economy is upside down...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• She may genuinely need them, or she made be part of the culture of public assistance.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Op here~ Sorry for the lack of detail. i didnt want the snarky you are a meanie or judgemental comments. Or the none of your business ones. She isnt married she lives with her boyfriend who is her third child's father. She now has 3 babies total by three different men. Since she isnt married she doesnt count the,limited, income he brings. Dont get me wrong she is poor. But I dont think it bothers her. I wont stop being friends with her or anything. I just think that at some point the "assistance" needs to go away and you need to get on your feet. She is perfectly happy the way she is, but I think its crazy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It IS CRAZY!!!! It should be a stepping stone, not a rock in your life. Where there is a will, there is a way!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Applause for you OP!

You are right about your friend, she is using the system. It is this type of thing that peeves me.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2009