Teething Question. 2 Questions

My daughter is 7 months old and has been teething for months now and still hasn’t cut a tooth. Well the week she seems to be in a lot more pain than before she also hasn’t been sleeping all that great. She will do a lot of 30 min intervals which really messes me up as well. I feel like I am floating about now LOL. My question is what can I do for her? Those teething tablets aren’t helping anymore, and Tylenol isn’t doing much at all. She won’t chew on cold things and the only time relief is give awake is with something hard to chew on. She seems to love to chew on her bottle nipple too. I am wondering I have never given her a pacifier before would lit be alright to let her have one to fall asleep? She wants to chew.
So question 1.What can I do to help more when everything else hasn’t worked.
Question 2. Can I give her a pacifier at night to help?
Thanks ladies :)

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tylenol or those tablets never worked for my DS. When he was having a really rough night I would give him Motrin. He also loved to teeth on a Sophie Giraffe or a wooden or softbite spoon. Now we just have a really rough week where he wants to nurse all of the time, won't eat and has a tremendous about of dirty diapers. This, too, shall pass.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• For teething I would give him Tylenol and then (at the baby oral hygine isle you can buy these baby brushes type things they go on your finger and they have little rubber brusher stubble type things on them) rub his gums for a while and by the time you are done rubbing tylenol kicks in he should be able to go to sleep, I did that with my son and he loved that little brush.

As for the pacifier you can give it to him to chew on, he might not take it if he hasn't had it. My son stopped sucking on his pacifier when he was about three months old and he to like biting on the bottles nipple but wouldn't take the paci, so I would just put some water in the bottle and give him the bottle.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Baby ambesol(benzocaine) seemed to instantly soothe my DD. I think topical ambesol is far safer than repeated doses of tylenol, and more effective. I know first hand, I used it when my wisdom teeth pushed through. That was such agony, I don't even know how a little baby handles it. Oh yeah...Sponge Bob markets foam letters that are for bath time. They stick on the wall (water tension) and float, anyway they're safe for baby and she love to chew on them. They are really dense foam so she couldn't rip pieces off.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Give your baby a wet wash rag or anything dry and silk. My kids wouldn't use teething rings or anything... they all cut their teeth on wash rags and my fingers when they could get me not paying attention ;) My neice (years ago now) cut her teeth on one of her mom's clean silk nightgowns...

Anywho, try that... and get her a pacifier, it won't hurt.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 5:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Motrin works wonders! It helps with swollen gums. I also used oral gel. My son had teeth come in at 7 months
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Do NOT give any of the baby ambesol type products!!! If you use a little too much, it will numb more than just the gum (tongue and or THROAT) and they will choke because they can't feel anything in their mouth!!!

If she can tolerate Motrin, that does supposedly help more. (My kids can't take Motrin, it makes them puke...so be careful)

You can obviously give a pacifier at night. I don't have a clue why you couldn't. She might not take it since she didn't have one before...and you might end up with a habit to break by the time those teeth come in.

I'm at a loss...my kids all had their teeth in before we knew they were teething.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If your baby is in a lot of pain use the oral gel/ambesol, the benefits out way the risk. Complications are seriously rare and teething can be extremely painful. There is an article in Parents magazine about pain management in children and how so many needlessly suffer because of anal, overprotective parents and docs who are more concerned with any liability. 

Anonymous

• Another option is to get one of those mesh feeders and put an ice cube in it for her to suck on. You said she doesn't like to chew on cold things, so I don't know if this would work for her or not, but my son LOVES this when his gums are sore. He also likes to bang it on the highchair or on the floor too while he is using it. If you do use this, though, don't forget to put a bib on her because she will get wet from all the melting ice.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 11:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2009