Taking supplements for milk supply...

I'm getting ready to use fenugreek and blessed thistle to boost my milk supply which has dropped significantly after a plugged duct in one of my breasts. Anyone ever used this stuff before? Do you have to take both of them to be effective or is it one or the other? And what the heck is up with smelling like syrup?!

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 3:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Health

• I haven't used fenugreek, you can go to http://www.llli.org/ to find a consultant in your who can probably just give you advice over the phone. 

Next time(if) you get a blocked duct:   What worked for me was having my DH knead/massage my breast while the baby nursed.  I had my DH do it because if I did my muscles would tense,  plus I was in pain and it was soothing.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• oops: in you AREA who can
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Fenugreek made my breastmilk smell funky. I had much better luck with brewers yeast tablets.
    Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water, nurse often, have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I made a tea with coriander, anise, anisette and fennel seeds. I boiled a little over a cup's worth of water, turned it off and added the herbs. let it steep until it had cooled enough to drink. Also, eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast for a few days. The nice thing is, you can buy each and every one of these in your grocery store :)
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 12:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009