What Am I doing wrong?

We just got a black lab puppy he was 8 wks old when we got him, He is now 11 wks old, And Ive been trying to house train him but it's not working, We bought a kennel and at night or when we are not home we put him in there, when i say the commands "go outside" or " go pee" he will run to the door and then i will let him out, And i watch an make sure he goes to the bathroom before i let him back in, then when he come's back in i give him a treat and tell him good boy, BUT he will be in the house not even 20 mins & he is doing his buisness again, I take his food and water away around 6 in the evening and then i dont go to bed till about 10 and i put him out several times between then and the time i go to bed, But i dont know what else to do, I mean it can't be that hard alot of people do it so i must not be doing something right, Anyone have any tips?

WvMommyof3

Asked by WvMommyof3 at 6:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pets

• Have you ever potty trained a child? It is like that. Your puppy is still in training. It will take a while for the puppy to totaly get the outside thing. You should not leave food down all day long. the dog should be feed then pick it up. I feed my dog morning and night. Twice a day.

Answer by louise2 at 7:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would leave him out a little longer. They don't always do all of their buisness right away. Also go out and play with him.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You need to go out with him and give him the treat and praise as soon as he goes. He has no idea why he is getting the treat when he comes to the door.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• black labs are wonderful dogs, after they reach the age of about 18 months. so....that means you got a rough few years ahead of you. imho, i think the dog is still too young to get it. just keep taking the dog outside with you until he goes and bring him back inside when finished. kennel him while indoors unobserved. when he is about 16-20 weeks old start using two sprays available at petsmart. one that smells like the place he should go potty, and one that smells like the place he shouldn't go potty. use both sprays consistently and be very very consistent with your potty schedules and your wording. use the same words to take him outside and at the same door. use the same praise words when he goes outside and bring him back in the same door. I've owned all kinds of dogs and all have been housebroken quickly, you can do this. Now, the digging with black labs, I can't help you on that one. GL!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Thanks to all the momma's, And of coarse im potty trained a child, Three to be exact and i don't expect it to happen over night! But i will take your tip's and keep working with him, Thanks again!!!
    WvMommyof3

Answer by WvMommyof3 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i would have to agree with KylieMom5 give him a treat after he done his business outside while he's outside then when he comes. You can also try the potty padsplace them around the dog kennel if he has to really go. But try moving the food and water and keep taking him outside after he eats and you all should be good. there is nothing that you and your family are doing that is wrong. It'll work out in the end.
    mom1T2Ldh

Answer by mom1T2Ldh at 9:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• yes thats correct...give him a treat outside with him...plus dogs looove to mark territory...they tend to not go all at once, instead the hold it in and go several times...so the longer you can leave him out the better...that will help some
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• He probably thinks he's being rewarded for coming back inside, not pottying outside. I agree, stay outside with him until he does his business, praise/treat him, then take him back inside.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009