Obama Administration in contact with Party Crashers before the party?

E-mails turned over to the Secret Service show that Tareq and Michaele Salahi had sought a top Defense Department official's help to gain access to last week's White House state dinner.
People familiar with the inquiry into how the Salahis were able to attend Tuesday's gala, even though they weren't on the official guest list, said the Salahis exchanged e-mails with Michele S. Jones, special assistant to the secretary of defense and the Pentagon-based liaison to the White House. It was unclear how well the Salahis know Jones, but Jones includes the Salahis' lawyer, Paul W. Gardner, as one of her 50 friends on Facebook.
Several people familiar with the Jones-Salahi correspondence, including some who requested anonymity because it's part of an ongoing investigation, said the e-mails support the Salahis' case that they were cleared to attend Tuesday night's gala.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/30/AR2009113004420.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Not surprised.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• They crashed and they also crashed (and were thrown out of) an event with the Congressional Black Caucas a few months ago where President Obama was speaking....

The woman's own brother , a doctor, said his the couple are of questionable character, have done many things to get media attention and he isn't surprised that they crashed the WH event....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• WTTG-TV, the Fox affiliate in Washington, reported on a similar incident a month before, in which the Salahis sneaked in through a back entrance to a Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Awards dinner at which Obama spoke. A guest complained that the couple didn't belong at his table.

"I double-checked my (guest) list and when they weren't on that list we escorted them out," a foundation representative, Lance Jones, said in an interview early Tuesday.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• In an interview with CNN, the brother of Tareq Salahi said he wasn't surprised his brother and sister-in-law got into the White House state dinner without an invitation.

"I wasn't terribly surprised by it," said Ismail Salahi, who said he hasn't had contact with his brother for five years. "I was shocked by it, but I don't definitely put it past him and his wife to do something like this."
    Asked if the couple should be punished, he said, "I think they should definitely be treated like anybody else, celebrity status or not."

He also said Tareq Salahi has been involved in a "bitter family feud for about 10 years" with his parents. Ismail Salahi said he's been on their parents' side, helping them to "get away from the trouble that [Tareq and Michaele Salahi] have been causing."
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• sweet-a-kins how does that event relate to a member of the WH administration being in communication with the crashers?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

How does them being in contact with anyone in the WH mean they were invited? I could say I was in contact with the wh because i e-mailed them and called them, does that mean I can show up at the next event...oh yes, let me buy a new pair of shoes!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• maybe the staffer was a sahali groupie. LOLOLOLOLOL. it's an interesting link to the Wh but i do agree that just because you have been in contact doesn't mean you can crash... of course unless you were ok'd. might be more than meets the eye here. we wait and we'll see.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Color me both 'not surprised' and 'not interested' anymore. We have been talking about this for almost a week now. The fact that just the WH and it's staff couldn't figure out WTH happened and who dropped the ball until NOW is what I find most bothersome. They can't find their asses from their heads and somehow we are supposed to turn over a huge percentage of our economy to government? This doesn't exactly instill confidence. I realize that the WH isn't in charge of health care, but just seeing how things just in the WH are so effed up that it takes a week to find out where the 'hole' in their security is enough to make me understand the magnitude of the screw ups that would happen on an even larger scale if gov. were to control health care. I know some of you will argue that they don't want control, but that's my opinion and my opinion is not up for debate.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It seems the whole administration will do anything to keep the spotlight on the Obama's. Good or bad, it's all staged and they are all in on it. You know security would not allow these things to just happen without someone on the inside "working" it for whatever reason. I am so bored with all the political b/s.

Sheesh.... can you say "Narcissistic?"
    Annette4

Answer by Annette4 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2009