What are some of your favorite family traditions during this time of year?

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• For my family it’s getting ready for Advent because it’s something our kids can really get involved in. We light candles and say prayers. Also we love decorating our Christmas tree because so many of the ornaments were made by my kids. We reminisce about each one as I pull it out of the box. Each year I buy new book about Christmas some are religious and some are not. We read all the books we've collected over the years about Christmas. Each year we go to the library and check out books about different religions and we try to learn about other traditions.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• we go "xmas-light-looking", preferably to a city park that gets totally dolled up for the holidays, if the weather permits. our ds is learning to read/phonetics, so we read christmas stories (xtian and secular/traditional)..but then, again, we read all the time..just the subject matter is changed during december. we attend church services every week..not just during special times at holidays. we see our families every week, too...other than the xmas lights..not much changes.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Our family traditons are fairly traditional...lol....as a family we say the blessings & light the menorah each night, and we love making latkes & homemade applesauce.

What's different, I suppose, is that we also enjoy buying toys for our town's "Stuff-A-Bus" Christmas toy drive - our son thinks it is just the greatest thing to be able to stuff a whole big yellow school bus with toys and, at the same time, he is sad to think that there are so many children who would have had to go without if we didn't help stuff that bus. Tzedakah ("charity" or "righteous giving") is important to our family and we collect a few coins in the tzedakah box every shabbat, saving them up just so we can donate to worthy causes at this time of year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Since we do things different each yr when it comes to dinners, decorations,parties, charity works etc... we decided yrs ago to keep one thing traditional for us (dh, myself and gs) and that is we like to drive thru town on Christmas eve and look at all of the lights... ... and we leave ours on all night long... that is the only night that we do this...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• wow i guess nothing. we dont do nothing at all for the holidays in December. We celebrate Yule with dinner and opening presents the next morning. I am the only one who decorates the house with holiday decor. But hubby helps me out with the lights. I am new to the area where i live (been here since 2007) but i dont know where to go to look at lights at night.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 4:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Baking. Making cinnamon applesauce ornaments. Taking a picture of DS and his Santa frog.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• 2 words:

PRIME RIB!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Mamak88 I am coming over...LOL... when,where and what time....LOL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2009