If you own a dishwasher...

how do you put your silverware in the tray? Do you put them handle up or handle down?
I put them handle up, my aunt visited and put them handle down and said they get cleaner that way, but I think if you grab the part you eat with when putting them away that makes them dirty, too.
I know random but I'm just wondering!

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do handle up, so that when I put them away my hands are not touching the part that touches someone else's mouth. I would hope everyone tries to keep their hands only on the handle.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I agree with your aunt--handle side down the part that gets dirty is more exposed to the jets. BTW, you can wash your hands before you empty the dishwasher.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Handle side down. Except for the sharp knives. Which aren't supposed to go in the dishwasher, but mine do.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I only put knives blade down. The rest I don't care. I sometimes pick them up in a handful and just drop them in. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Knives go blade down for safety but the other stuff should go handle down for best cleaning.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well I know I can wash my hands! lol It still just feels weird to grab it, but it makes total sense to do it the other way, I just never did and never really thought about it.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I put it down, unless I have a lot I am craming in there and then put some up as well. More fits that way.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well I put them in handle down, but when I unload then I grab down lower, on then handle, so I try not to touch the eat part too much! LOL Oh I have a tip about silver ware and the dish washer.....when you load the silver ware don't put the same ones together, like spoons all with spoons in the same hole....they can fit together and not get clean!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 8:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Both otherwise the spoons and forks start to line up and nothing gets cleaned. I've always done it that way but is specifically says in the instruction manual of our washer to alternate the silverware. Except sharp knives which should always go blade down (which my husband and father can't seem to comprehend).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• handle down.(except sharp knives) that way the food is washed in a downward motion so if for some chance you miss seeing something it is on the handle not the eating part. Just wash hands before putting dishes away. My dishwasher comes with a utensil holder to keep all silverware evenly spaced..

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2009