How do I get my son to sleep in his own bed

I want my 16 month old to sleep in his bed. I was a breatfeeding mom and now he wont leave. I did the whole put him in his bed abd let him cry go in in ten min and leave again but he doesnt settle down like my daughter did who is now 4. I have tryed letting him crash where ever also. I am just afraid him crying like he does isnt good for him.. Please help!! All advise is wanted

maddmom0326

Asked by maddmom0326 at 7:56 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe a night light, or giving him a couple stuffed animals in his bed might help, or other suggestion, just lay by his bed till he falls asleep, until he doesn't cry at night.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 7:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I assume that you've established a routine with him, for example, dinner, bath and consider reading to him while he lays in his bed. Make sure that you act out all the characters.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• yes ewadun has it right....get a good nighttime routine...for my children it was dinner, bath, book time. give them a kiss a hug, turn off the light and leave without looking back or lingering....they would cry and cry and cry...in twenty minutes i would go back in, lie them back down and do soothing noises and rub thier backs....i would not pick them up....i would do this three times....most times i never made it to the second time because they would fall asleep....you HAVE to stick with it...the first time you pick them up and cuddle them they won...the whole reason they dont want to sleep is cause they want you....its fine for them to want you...as a mother its a great feeling...but if you dont settle into a good routine...youll find yourself sleeping on thier bedroom floor next...i have a friend from work that landed into that routine..and now has insomnia and STILL does it....her son is 4
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• This is something he will have to cry out. I am sorry but I think co-sleeping is a rookie mistake in parenting. Just adds stress and confusion and seperation anxiety for the child. You will have to be strong and insist he stay in bed.
    Anonymous

• Try laying with him in his bed until he falls asleep for a little while. This usually helps the transition. Don't worry, it won't be like this forever, and letting your kids sleep with you isn't a parenting mistake. It's just a parenting decision. If it worked for you, it's not a mistake. ANY change takes time at this age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Blue I tend to disagree. I feel you need to pick up your child if letting him cry/scream. He/She needs to know you are still there and still love them BUT they still need to go to sleep. My two children were difficult because I loved them as babies they slept with me. I had to have a boyfriend at the time fix that.lol I would even at nap time gate them in their room with toys/tv. It's fun!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We do have a bedtime routine... Cuddling and stories, he has a night light and I have even played relaxing music... I am going to give it a try tonight with letting him cry it out a little bit. He is only 16 months should I make his bed a toddler bed and put a gate at the door or is it too soon??? Thanks so much girls..
    maddmom0326

Answer by maddmom0326 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I do not think cosleeping is a mistake either. I like the bond no different then baby wearing I want that closness it doesnt last forever.. but thank you for your thought
    maddmom0326

Answer by maddmom0326 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009