Which is the best option- having a d&c or going through it naturally?

I just found out my baby died at 8 weeks, and now I have to decide which route to take? I am so scared and want to know some good & bad of both.

tts

Asked by tts at 8:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • I am very sorry. and what a sad decision. I don't have experience of what you are asking. I'd ask your doctor and be guided by them. Personally I think I'd want closure as soon as I could.

Answer by Bmat at 8:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My baby died at 12 weeks, I had it naturally, it wasn't as painfull as haveing my 1st little girl..although when you have it naturally you get to see EVERYTHING...it's very hearrtbreaking..I have never had a D&C...so I agree with Bmat...I would ask your doctor. Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear that.
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 8:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Though I have never had to go through, and I cant imagin how you are feeling... But A friend of mine did. She lost one at 10 weeks and one at 13. She had the D&C... Closure was the main reason for her choice. Statistics show that women who carry around a misscariage are more apt to be depressed longer and worse... I am praying for you and your family~ Talk to your doc. you can deside what is best for you...
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 8:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I had a miscarrage 7 years ago and I did have a D&C. It is surgery so you will feel like you have been put through the mill but I couldn't just carry around my baby after it had passed. I was 9 weeks and found out when I should have been 10 weeks.. I was only 19 at the time so I freaked out.. I have never had it natural so I can't tell you anything about that but I don't thank I could actually go through the whole thing. I am really sorry you had to go through that, just remember that there are many women that have gone through the same thing your not alone!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I lost my Elloitt in June 08 @ 9 weeks. I had a D&C b/c I had carried him for 2 weeks w/o knowing or any clue/symptoms. I was worried about getting sick due to my body not recognizing or starting the miscarriage process.
    You decide what is best for you. It all comes down to how you feel. I would recommend you talk with your dr and discuss your options. An informed decision is best.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would think that if it starts on its own pretty soon that natural is probably the easiest for your body. Do talk to your doctor. I'm terribly sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i think that decision will depend on how long can you carry for? I had a miscarraige at 6weeks pregnant and they let me go home and do it naturally instead of a D&C. I have heard since then its less painful and your body heals better...all i remember is it took me two days before i started feeling better...and i will admit the depression still effects me sometimes and its been several years....i think that part can be normal for anyone...I had my mother tell me of a story where a lady found out her baby was not going to live and they let her carry a few more months and let her body naturally go into labor on its own. but it was the best thing at the time because of how far along she was...i think you need to talk to your doc and between the two of you decide whats best...im so sorry this is happening to you, but it happened for a reason..maybe things werent right...thats what i kept telling myself so i do understand...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i had a d&c and so did my friend, we shared stories and the only thing negative that i noticed about them was that we both a serioulsy bad and painful bm after, like the size of a golfball. but the bleeding stopped within a week or so.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Your doctor should be advising you on this. My best friend lost her baby at 11 weeks. Her doctor gave her 5 days to see if her body would flush it out naturally, when it didn't her doctor scheduled a D&C to avoid infection.

I had a D&C, not due to miscarriage but due to polyps and infertility, and the procedure itself is no big deal. They put you to sleep and the cramping afterwards is just a little worse than an average period. I could have gone to work the day after if I hadn't already put in for a 4 day vacation leave.

I'm really sorry for your loss, but will tell you the same thing I told my best friend. At least your trouble isn't infertility (it took me 6 years to get pregnant). Try and take comfort in knowing that you can get pregnant and try again when you feel ready.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm very sorry. :( I have never had a miscarriage but I would think if I did, I would want a D&C. I think it would just be too heartbreaking for me to SEE it all. Although who knows what I would do if the situation ever happened...sometimes you change your mind. I would talk to your doctor. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2009