Sewing machine for 9yr old as a Christmas gift~Info please~

Thanks in advance. My dd is getting into designing things. She is wanting a sewing machine. I was wondering if the little toy ones just break and don't work well?? I would rather her have one that she can actually get some use from rather than invest in a toy that will simply break. I would appreciate your advice and experience.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 8:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would imagine that the toy ones would break, i don't know personally but you'd want to get her something that grows with her as well, when she gets older she's not gonna want a toy, so buying a real one would be a good investment. good luck.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 8:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't know for sure, but if a toy one doesn't work well, it'll be frustrating for her--and probably you, too. Look for a reliable, easy-to-use real machine--you can't go wrong with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My mother-in-law is teaching my 8 year old how to sew on a "real" sewing machine. When it gets to the point that she wants one, I will buy her a "real" inexpensive one to start out with. At 8 or 9, they're actually getting to where they can make stuff and before long I would think she will be ready to upgrade if she gets a toy one.

Answer by missanc at 8:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• At nine I would get a simple one. Go to sewing machine shop or fabric store. Ask them for help. At a machine store you will be able to find an older refurbished one. Look for one that has everything on one knob, plus just the simple stitches. Easy to open to clean and only a button hole attachment.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Toy ones are for the younger sewers. I got mine at 6. Still had it and moved on to Moms old two stitch machine at 8.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I passed on my Kenmore sewing machine to my dd (she's 8.5) - its a very basic model but does everything I need it to.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Sorry I keep thinking of things. Also if you get one from a machine store they do have classes to learn how to use it. look for one that is free or lower cost if you buy it there. Fabric stores also have sewing classes.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Don't buy the toy ones!!!!!! I got one for my DD(10) and it just keeps jamming and is a piece of junk. I think it's better just to teach them on the real thing. That's how I learned...On my mom's big ol'giant 25 years ago.
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 7:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2009