Ear tubes?

What do people think about kids getting ear tubes inserted. My 22 month old has had an ear infection for about 1 month. He is on his 3rd round of a/b. He doesn't seem to be in a lot of discomfort, but I am thinking maybe this is why he is still not sleeping through the night. The Dr. hasn't recommended this yet, but it seems like the next step. He has had ear infections this past year, but none have lasted this long. Any input?

Slur

Asked by Slur at 8:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both of my boys had tubes - one of them had them twice, and the oldest had them three times; they just wouldn't stay in. But while they were in, they did reduce the number of ear infections they had. And the procedure was minor and relatively painless for them.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• They aren't supposed to stay in. The procedure is quick and you just have to be careful with water afterwards. I had one child who had them twice and another only once. Usually only recommended if a childhas several ear infections in a row. Consult an ENT doctor for an opinion as they are usually the ones to do it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My oldest son had two set. My granddaughter(his daughter) has had 2 sets. Before either of them had PE tubes placed it was a solid year of infection- antibiotics- infection. From the day the tubes were placed until they came out zero infections. They both required a second set. 3 weeks after the first ones were out they were reinfected. I was lucky enough that by the time the second set came out they had grown enough to strewtch the eustachion tube downward a bit so the fluid drained more easily. Both of mine had a lot lot of dfiscomfort with infections. I was also worried about the 'superbugs' because of so many antibiotics. One had the first set at 24 months, the other had the first set at 3. No problems as a result of either.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My daughter had them put in at 6 1/2 yrs old. They needed several documented infections within a year before they do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Something that will help stop the infections is to put ear plugs (the wax kind for swimming work great!) in the ears when giving a bath. Also put some blocks under the top end of the bed. It all helps with the drainage in the ears. You can also put Peroxide in their ears which helps to keep it all cleaned out.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009