How old was your baby when he/she sat up for the first time?

Is there anyway i can help my little one learn?

GrungeMum

Asked by GrungeMum at 8:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Between 5 and 6 months is the average age for a baby to start sitting up unassisted (although all babies are different and do things in their own time.) My daughter started sitting unassisted at 5.5 months.

I see from your profile you baby is only 4 months old - so he is probably still a bit small to be doing this - and that's fine, you don't need to encourage him - he will do it when he's ready.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• my oldest about 4 months my youngest about 5
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• 5 months. I sat him up in bed and we practiced that way.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• at 6 moths. haha i remember that he got picked to be in a photo shoot and one of the criterias was that the infant must know how to sit up. well we told the agency that he could and well he could but was super wobbly so we worked with him for a week and by the photo he was sitting up own his own. he fell over a few times but he got through the shoot!
    smb87

Answer by smb87 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• 4 months...I would help him by straightening out his legs so he could balance a bit better
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Son didn't till he was 7 months, daughter did it at 4
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My son could at 4 months was able to crawl at 5 months walked at 8 1/2 months. My daughter was nearly 8 months when she could sit up without falling, she could crawl by 9 months and was nearly 14 months before she could walk. Every child is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• All of mine could sit unsupported at 4 months. However, that was with us putting them in position. They managed to get into the sitting position on their own at about 6-7 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2009