Counting 1-10

Our 3 year old knows how to count to 10. To reiterate it, we go through counting things in the day and every night before bed, we sit down at her desk that has 1-10 at the bottom of it and have her count while pointing to the numbers themselves.

Almost every night, it's like she has a brain-fart. She'll count 1 - 2 - 5 or 1 - 7 - 8 or just about anything else you can come up with. Although we don't let it show to her, this is extremely frustrating because she knows how to count to 10 without a problem.

Is this at all normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she is being silly... try turning the tables on her!! YOU count one night & let her correct you. She may be bored & trying to spice it up in her own way..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Very normal. My son did and still does that sometimes at 4.5 years old. I don't know why they do, but he laughs about it now when he does it so I know he knows it is wrong.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Sure it is. Sounds like she might just be trying to be silly, or by the end of the day she is just so tired of counting to 10 that she does it wrong to change it up a bit. My oldest is a pretty smart cookie and got to the point that he would do things wrong on purpose just to mix it up cause doing it right EVERY TIME got old. Don't worry about it and try not to get frustrated with her. She's just being 3. (=
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• it could be she is just tired I think it is normal.
    when kids start writing it is also normal to write backwards no big
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It is normal, but you should be working on number recognition. Counting will come later. It's more important that they recognize their numbers and letters.

Oh, don't forget zero. Too many kids are not taught zero.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Normal.

And Anon 10:43 has a great reply. It's pretty much what I was going to say:

"It is normal, but you should be working on number recognition. Counting will come later. It's more important that they recognize their numbers and letters.

Oh, don't forget zero. Too many kids are not taught zero."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It is normal. Most kids skip 15 when they start counting to 20. It's just the way it is. Another thing you should work on is counting objects. I'm working with kids in kindergarten that can count to 20, but can't count 10 objects.
    Anonymous

• my son does it when he is tired of counting. He does good all day and then he will start being silly
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2009