How to make my dogs comfortable for the cold wheather?

They live outside in the backyard and their houses well let's just say they are due for new ones...but for now what can I do for comfort?
If I were to put an old blanket out there it would be ripped to shredds...if u know what I mean...:/
It is going to get really cold here in Texas possibly some snow on Friday...yay!
I don't want to say anything to the kids or they'll b bugging me all week...lol
anyway back to my dogs...what would you do to make it comfy for them :)
They are golden retrievers. (can't really bring them inside the house or garage or else I would :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pets

• They make heat lamps you can put inside their dog houses. Also by moving the houses closer to your house might help block some of the wind from getting inside.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We give our dogs straw (hay) in the winter. It's better than blankets because they can nestle down in it. Just get a few square bales of straw, stuff as much as you can in their dog houses and call it good. They WILL most likely scatter it, play in it, and get it out of there. If they do, just go out and put as much back as you can. When it starts getting too thin, get more straw. It is an on going process in the winter months (depending on the dog you are trying to help) but worth it to help them stay comfy and warm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Why can't you bring them in the house??? I guess that is lost on me because my 2 dogs are part of my family. Anyways I've always been told that straw works well. Since they aren't allowed in the house then their winter coats should be comming in pretty good
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You could bring them inside. Domesticated animals belong inside the house they are supposed to share with their families. If you can't or don't want to bring them inside, do them a favour and find a home where the people will.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• look into dog coats....most pet stores have them and make them for bigger dogs too....i know most people hate the idea of dressing up their dogs...but your not doing it for looks but for whats best for them. Also make sure there are no holes or cracks on top of their shelter outside or the whole idea of keeping them warm will be pointless....if you need to cover the top of it with a tarp and tack it down REAL good so they cant yank it off...and just make sure they always have fresh water and food....it helps keep their energy up during cold weather...and don't be surprised if they eat more because of it...lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Why can't you bring then in the house? At the VERY least the garage? I believe the word you were looking for is WON'T not can't. I never could understand why someone would get dogs just to keep them as lawn ornaments. If you don't have time for them then find them new homes.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You CAN bring them in the house, you just CHOOSE not to! They belong in the house with their pack (you and your family).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• For outside dogs they need good shelter to get out of the weather. Line their houses with lots of straw so they can burrow in to stay warm. You may need to add more straw as winter continues.  If your budget allows they do make new dog houses that have heat/air units built on to them. Also  you do have Golden retriever's they were breed to handle the weather.  Check eye's and nosies every day if a discharge starts forming get them to a vet. Winter is a good time to get an upper respiratory infections.  If you have any other questions about housing or whatever please feel free to message me.

Lots of luck.

T.W.

Answer by T.W. at 12:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Man, people here are brutal. I agree with keeping straw in there. Stuff it full to the top, but don't fluff it for them. They would rather be able to make their own little nest in there. You ought to keep an eye on it and probably refill the houses each week or every other week. Don't worry about cleaning it out, that will keep the bottom insulated.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2009