Why do people leave their dogs outside?

Okay..first off this is not a bashing question, so anyone who feels the need to bash someone because they leave their dog out just shoo.....and go away...LOL

I've always wondered about this. Me, personally, my dog is my furbaby and I love him he is my "furchild" so to speak. Just as I would never leave my kid in a hot car with the windows rolled up I also wouldn't leave my dog out in the hot desert sun, or the chilly cold rainy nights either(dog house or no dog house). I feel bad.

I know dogs can be messy, break things and pee all over the carpet. but so do kids just clean it up. Just yesterday one of my twins had a fit and threw a stuffed animal knocking over my wine onto our just cleaned carpet and new couch. He got the corner for six minutes but I'm not going to stick him outside for that. LOL. Get what i'm saying? I believe you should treat your furbabies the same as a child. call me crazy, but I love my doggie. :)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 9:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Shay,

Domesticated animals CAN NOT survive outside. They are just that, domesticated, which means, they rely on us for food, warmth, shelter, love and care. To argue that its okay to dump your dog or cat outside means you have just as much respect for them as the trash you dump in the garbage.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• there is nothing wrong with putting animals outside...its where they belong, they can survive outdoors.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• For the most part, people leave their dogs outside after the dog has become more work then the person that has the dog thought it would be.

Other reasons include, laziness, lack of compassion, lack of training, so instead of trying to fix the problem, the dog gets dumped out side. I have also seen the age old he/she likes to be outside excuse. I have seen more off colour ones such as, well the dog doesn't match my couch, chair, carpet.. he is cramping my lifestyle and when I bought the dog from the pet store I didn't know it was going to be so much work.

There is a total lack of feeling for any type of animal in our society. What is really scary, is that we stole the planet from them...and this is how we treat them.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i don't believe in having an animal chained up though...thats wrong, but i think they are perfectly fine being outside
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Because some people just want dogs to say they just have dogs. Dogs who are left outside all the time have a good chance of being problems, they bark can get stressed and can be dangerous. They are pack animals, they need to be part of a pack, meaning their families. There are some breeds that are more independant than others, but they still need that human contact. If a family has a strictly outside dog then they better know that in order for that dog to be healthy they need to play and walk the dogs regularly, several times a day infact.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i know that some animals like the little rat dogs would die being outside because they were just bread wrong...but most animals will survive. Most people will survive.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Oh dogs will survive sure, people can survive outside too. But without love and companionship a dog can go feral and be dangerous. I have a german shepherd and although he could LIVE strictly outdoors, he would become mean and feral because he NEEDS to be with his family, that is the breed. Goldens are the same.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• animals are smart...if you dont feed them they know how to find food, they know how to stay dry, ...most people who have outside animals make sure they live comfortably
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I've never had a dog that wasn't in an apartment so obviously I was forced to keep it inside. If I had a fenced in yard though I'd let it stay out there for hours, not overnight though. Just like children they need to get their energy out and run and play. My kids would probably be a part of this outside play too though, because they too are like energizer bunnies! I really don't see anything wrong though with keeping a dog outside for hours at a time, as long as it's not neglected and not overnight or while no one is home.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• And without much human contact they become dangerous, comfortable but dangerous
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2009