Your opinion: should she have whole milk or lowfat?

I know they now recommended children from 1-2 only to have whole milk and if they're not overweight when they're 2 they can have lowfat, this is now the new wic recommendations too. Well my 3 year old is in the 25th percentile for weight and 75th for height, she's 30 lbs and 40 inches. I would like for her to still have whole milk because she's so thin, but not considered underweight which is obviously good. She's just petite. So just your opinions please (nice ones if possible) which milk would you give a child of these measurements?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• At 3, all of my older kids switched to skim milk. My 9 year old is very close the the weight limit for "underweight," (he's in the 5% for weight and 55% for height), but he's healthy in all other respects. I was very skinny growing up as were all of my relatives and it had nothing to do with how we ate. I can guarantee you my son is getting enough fat from other sources! Some kids are just genetically going to be smaller, more petite people. I would switch to 2% and then to skim.

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My kids have always had whole milk they are 16 and 10. My 16 year old now likes only skim, but I've always had them on whole milk
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My DD was thin like that until she turned 5. I gave her lowfat milk as recommended and it didnt lower her weight at all. I would move on to lowfat. Whole milk isnt really that good for anyone who isnt a young toddler. If you are really concerned talked to her doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would give her 2% milk.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• honestly look at her dairy intake as a whole..include all dairy from cheese, to icecream, cottage cheese..ect...if she is getting enough dairy elsewhere its okay to cut back to skim milk....if shes not a fan of other dairys its safe to keep her on whole milk
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• After breastfeeding I gave my children non fat milk. They get plenty of good fats from other sources.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Most of the milk we drink is 2% the only time we have whole milk is when we run out of milk and hubs runs to walgreens to pick up a gallon or 2, and sometimes he will grab the whole milk.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• The high fat content in whole milk is good for children's brain development, which is why whole milk is recommended for little ones. Most of my children were moved to 2% milk by age 2 simply because that's why my husband drinks and the refrigerator gets crowded with 3 kinds of milk in there (I drink skim).

If your child is underweight I wouldn't worry about continuing with the whole milk. It might be good for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would give her something with a lot of fat in it. Just to help her maintain a healthy weight, or gain to a healthier weight. If she were overweight and her body accepted a lower fat milk, then I would give her that. However, since your daughter is on the thinner side, I would give her a high fat milk to help her maintain or gain to a healthy weight.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Young children need whole milk and its protien for brain development. If you feel she is thin, ask the doc. My kids got whole milk for their second year. We then go to skim.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009