Does you dh discipline this way? (DO NOT OPEN IF YOU ARE AGAINST SPANKING/smacking on head)

I have known my dh for 12 years and all through those years I remember he would give his kida a good smack on their backs of their heads and remember saying why do you do that??? He's like why should I beat their butts they don't listen like that atleast like this I catch their attention. well I remember saying well your are not going to do that to OUR kids (his kids were with us for alittle while) anyway years later we have our two kids and they are pains in the butt they don't listen especially to me but with him OMG they walk the line...I am starting to believe smacking them in back of the head might be working I mean his older kids grew up just fine.
I am not fully supporting him but hey whatever works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Hitting in the head can cause injury. I think he needs to take some parenting classes. It may work for getting their attention but it may also cause some medical problems....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well you will have people comming in who are against spanking, so be prepared. I small slap upside the head isn't abuse. As far as the kids not listeing to you?? That is the real problem. You and your hub need to figure out where you are going wrong. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• yeah whatever works. My dh has other kids from previous relationships and I never remember him hitting them but 1 time and that's because after telling his son not to do something over like 3 times and then his son sassed him so he smacked him in the mouth. Not uber hard but it stunned him and he stopped and shut up. He didn't even cry but it got his attention. Our kids are 1 and 2 so no he does not hit them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• you HAVE to be kidding anon :50...shes not sayin that hes hitting them hard enough to cause any damage...think of the three stooges and how they always hit eachother on the back of the head....and they REALLY did it...does that mean they should have seen a doc?? d....i think as long as your husband isnt doing it to the point hes injuring them its okay...my husband does similar too and its the same idea....a smack to the back of the head as in "what the hell were you thinking" and your right it DOES work.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• OMG---are you kidding me? I was a good well behaved girl and I was only spanked once when I was about 3 or 4 years old. I only occasionally spanked my three kids.(Here is the worst thing that happened in my family: One time my oldest daughter tried to stab her little sister with a pencil.. on her arm. I smacked her hard on her rear end and put her in her room for three hours. But she was about 4 and needed to grow up a bit.) Mykids were all good kids and never got in trouble. They are adults now and have kids---they do not spank.
    I can't imagine hitting my kids on the back of the head. Wow. I think you and your DH need counseling and advice from an expert in child raising. Really!!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• if he's just giving a little whack to get their attention its not bad...as long as its nothing he is doing out of anger.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• omg lindalu...my sister stabbed me with a pencil...i still have the led to prove it...in my big toe
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• That's very shaming. It teaches fear not respect. My SO was disciplined that way, and he has set rules that our baby is not allowed to be left unsupervised with his parents ever. He is still very uncomfortable with his father and does not respect him.

Every family is different.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My DH doesn't hit in the head much but will pull our 5 yr old's ear. It is to tell him to listen to DH. It seems to work b/c now if we go towards DS ears he knows he better listen up or get his ears puller.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm not against spanking, but I dont like the idea of hitting kids in the back of the head. It just doesn't sit right with me. That's not to say that it doesn't work for your family. If you are uncomfortable with it, then your dh needs to respect that because he said he would before you had kids. If you think it's ok and its not leaving a mark or being done too hard, then you should do what you think is best.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2009