Minarets Banned As Swiss Back Far-Right ..........

Switzerland's biggest party, the Swiss People's Party (SVP), claims the turrets attached to mosques are symbols of militant Islam.

The anti-immigration SVP party believes the spires from where followers of Islam are called to prayer demonstrate a "political-religious claim to power".

It forced a referendum on whether or not minarets should be banned after collecting 100,000 signatures from eligible voters within 18 months.

Over 57% of Swiss voters chose to approve a blanket ban on the construction of Muslim minarets, according to official results posted by Swiss news agency ATS.

What do you think? I have never even noticed them here. Do you have one (any) in your area?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If the Swiss don't want them, they don't want them. I don't believe Muslim countries are held to any sort of standards when it comes to welcoming Jewish or Christian immigrants wanting new synagogues and churches, so why are majority Christian countries expected to welcome huge invasions of Muslim immigrants?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It looks like the whole world is full of far-right prejudice,huh? Stupid people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Op here~ I was reading some of the comments on the story and one said an Italian radio station did a mock vote and it came out 77% in favor of the swiss decision. Not sure if its true, no link. But it makes me wonder. By the way, do either of you have one of these near you?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Interesting that other articles about this decision mention how worried Swiss politicians are about security now. Believing that muslims the world over will react violently, as they did over the cartoons. So they'll likely back down in the face of Islamic violence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Thier country. Their Decision.
    What makes them anti-immigration, exactly? I don't profess to know (or care) about swiss political parties, but are they anti immigration, simply because they believe in tighter restriction to live and work in Switzerland?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• They are not anti-immigration. They are just tired of Muslims expecting Switzerland to change for them, rather than them adapt to Swiss life. They don't want to lose their national identity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• 10:33 agreed and thats what will happen when it is allowed..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It's about time someone spoke up and said no to the muslim immigrants. I wish we'd do the same here.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 10:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't see the problem. People should not expect to go to a new country and change it.

Regarding the spread of Islam, it isn't just about being open to another faith. This faith is also heavily entrenched in law. I can't believe some of you would bash Switzerland for putting a halt to what they see as an invasion of national values. Where is the outrage when a woman is stoned to death in an Islamic State as punishement for having sex with someone she isn't married to? Why aren't those that said, "the stoning is okay, it"s their country" piping up now and saying the same thing?<<>>>
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2009