I need a reality check...would this bother you? BOTH of my parents blew off my birthday.

My birthday was Thanksgiving Day this year so I wasn't expecting a big deal. I'm an adult now anyway so I don't want much...a card, a small gift? Or even, "sorry I didn't have time to pick up a gift for you, but Happy Birthday! I love you!"

My mom..."OH is that TODAY? I thought it was the 29th?" No, mom, the 26th. Of course, I took your word for it (maybe we should check my birth certificate?). No card, no candles.

My dad...nothing. His wife of 4 yrs posted "Happy Bday" to me on my Facebook at 10pm that night, after I said "Happy Thanksgiving" to them on theirs. I guess she noticed all the birthday wishes on my page and got a clue. "Happy Bday", from her. Not even "from your dad and I" which although it would have been a lie would have been a nice lie and I would have taken it. LOL I called him last night, about other things. Nothing.

I feel like a sad 5 year old. Do I need a timeout?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• An acknowledgement would have been nice.......Nope you are acting better than I would have!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'd be super mad. How can your mom forget? She gave birth to you! I'd act badly.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Thanks ladies! I hate that it bothers me this much, that I feel reduced to a child. My husband was really angry with them for hurting me. He said I had every right to be upset. He asked me, "would YOU ever do that to OUR children?" No, honestly I can't imagine EVER forgetting or blowing off my children's birthdays, no matter where they are, what they have done, whatever distance is between us. They are still my babies. Thanks for the supportive words!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm not sure what the correct response is, but I will tell you that you are not alone. I don't think either of my parents even knows what my birthday is. Not a recognition of any sort. I don't expect gifts or anything like that, but maybe a call or something every couple of birthdays would be nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• This is how I do and always have handled that. I ALWAYS let ppl know my birthday is coming up. People get busy and sometimes do forget, even parents so I make sure I remind them. It's my birthday. If I want people to acknowledge it then I think it's my responsibility to remind them when it is. btw, mine is Dec 14 (LOL)

Answer by admckenzie at 11:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Thanks admckenzie, I do agree that is a good way to handle it. I did remind my mom especially since it was on Thanksgiving and I know the holidays get crazy...I really didn't expect anything, just wanted to be acknowledged. OK a candle in the pumpkin pie would have been nice. LOL I think it was just when she said the wrong DATE to me that it really got to me. I just looked at her like...*blink* *blink* I mean what do you say?

I never reminded my dad. I guess his wife didn't either? :S I have a whole history of feeling ignored by him, I guess that's a whole other book. :S At least his wife seems nice. Counting my blessings!

I sound whiney even to myself LOL but I still think THEY SUCK for forgetting my birthday! lol Yes, I am five. :P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• An acknowledgement would've been nice. Just let them know it hurt your feelings not to have that day recognized by them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009