How would you react if you are not used to it??? (Snow in Texas)

I know alot of people think it is funny who live up North and see the people down South freaking out when it does snow here....lol we just don't know how to act...lol
The wheater man said it might snow this Friday and I hope it does last year it did but only for 1 day it was very nice while it lasted (12/10/08) the kids loved it it was on a Wed. school night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• TIP: Make sure your outside garden hose is disconnected.
    TIP: Make sure you have plenty of coco. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm in Texas and it IS snowing today!!! My 2 yo walked out into it and was very surprised; she started yelling, "My Lea-Lea (what she calls herself) is wet! Cold!" When I dropped her off at daycare she kept her arm out all the way to her classroom so she could show her teacher the snow.

Last year we were expecting a big storm and everyone went crazy. The schools decided the night before to cancel, and then the next day it was sunny and 70 degrees!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I've lived in the north and south, and I always find it fun to watch locals react. The # 1 thing is that all the bread and milk disappear at the grocery stores. If there's any ice or snow on the roads, I avoid driving because so many people don't know how to drive in it.

Driving tips:
    Don't hit the brakes when you see ice!! Your tires may lock and you will slide.
    Owning an SUV/big truck does not mean you are not vulnerable to ice. Your vehicle is very heavy, and is slow to stop on slick roads.
    Trucks are front-end heavy. If you feel your back tires lose traction, let off the gas until you stabilize. If conditions are bad, put some heavy weights in the back.
    Avoid driving in snowy weather if at all possible. Go out and make snowmen instead.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I just dont react. Do the same things you do here in TX when the temp drops. watch your pipes so they dont freeze and as mentioned before unhook the garden hose. Then when it does snow, go out and have fun! Count yourself fortunate that it will go away soon and we wont have piles of snow on the sides of the street covering the sidewalks turning blackish gray from car exhaust all winter long. It goes away all on its own within ussaly a day. I love winter in TX. HEHE, it got so bad one year when I lived up north that to clear the sidewalkes I had to use my rototiller to break up the ice. The neigbors laughed but come spring I had the sarpest blades on that thing.
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 10:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• anng.atlanta is absolutely correct. I grew up in Maine and now live in Virginia and laugh at the reactions of the people down here, too, when it snows. We got 2" last winter, the most they have seen in several years, and everyone freaked out! Schools were closed for 2 days because they do not have any equipment to treat the back country roads that are hilly and twisted so it's dangerous for the buses to drive on. Everyone complained about how terrible it was that we got that much snow. I mean, they acted as if it was a blizzard, for crying out loud! Well, it melted within 3 days and everyone breathed a sigh of relief - winter was over. I felt jipped that I didn't get at least 3 feet that I asked God for....LOL. Maybe this winter {wink}.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm in SE Texas, and I'm hoping and wishing for snow. When was it? Back in 2004 that we had snow on Christmas Eve and woke up to a white Christmas? That was perfect.

If we are out and about, we just drive really, really slow. LOL
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I live waaaaay up in the panhandle of TX and its suppost to snow tonite. I HATE snow. My kids love it, what kid doesnt? But the hospital where I am delevering at in 10 days is an hour away and I refuse to drive in snow!! I just hate chancing it. I guess I hate snow so much because I'm originally from Cali where its hot year round and the only white stuff we see is either Fog or Cotton LOL This is my 3rd year living in TX and I've only seen it snow maybe 2 times.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Im originally from Utah so I was used to snow.
    However, when I lived in San Antonio for a couple of years I got used to not having it then one winter we got a HUGE ice storm that crippled the freeways...what a mess!!

My instincts for staying warm kicked in but my annoyance with driving through the madhouse and such didnt kick in. The city had like 2 trucks to clean the entire freeway and it took all day or longer.

I wouldnt say funny but I did wish they would h ave had more on hand equipment for these types of occurances even if rare.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I think it is funny too. My grandparents live in SE MO and if they so much get half an inch everyone freaks out. Schools close, cars slide all over the place from people not being used to driving in snow. They would crap if they got the amounts we do here in NW OH.
    Anonymous