What would you do if you saw a potential babysitter kick her dog?

I have this babysitter lined up in case I ever need her. But yesterday I was parked at the school picking up my kids and saw her walking by. She didn't see me. She had 2 dogs with her and kicked the one dog 2 times! I don't have dogs so I don't know is this what owners do to their dogs to get them to "behave"? Would you hire her? My hubby says no way! What do you think?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow Mari you got something going w/this one didn't you! WOW! I just came across it and realized it was YOUR question! I guess you don't need my opinion now it looks like the CM ladies did a perfect job of unanimously (sp? lol!) setting this one straight! I had to laugh but seriousally, NO! Drop her like a hot potato! Not acceptable! : ) Hope you're doing well!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would not hitre her!!! People who kick dogs are not good people. She sounds cruel.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't. If she's mean enough to kick her dog, she's probably mean enough to get physical with a child too. There's too many other good folks out there to bother hiring someone who you perceive as having even the potential for violence with your kids. By the way, I don't have dogs either, but I feel pretty sure that kicking them is not the recommended form of training or discipline for them. I think that would just create either a mean or fearful (or both) dog.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Was it a hard kick? Or somewhat of a nudge?

By the sounds of your post I don't like it...find someone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• no way. I have a dog and I would be pissed if someone kicked him. I've swatted his butt a few times before, but those are few and far between cuz he's a pretty good dog anyway. I would definately be wary of someone who would do that. I am always teaching the kids to be gentle with our dog and I wouldn't want someone who is mean to animals to be in my home with my kids.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Nope. She has no self control. She is a bully.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• No, if she can't even care for a dog the right way, she surely can't care for children..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would not hire her, I would look for someone else.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• if she can kick her dog in public then what does she do in private?? no matter abuseing animals is uncalled for..i would say no to her and tell her why...good luck..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't, and since you have already established contact with her I would go to her home to meet with her and let her know that you will not be asking her for her services in babysitting and then tell her why. If she denies doing the act then you can tell her that it makes you feel good to not be having a liar babysit your children, either.
    She needs to have her actions brought to light and to be made accountable for them or she will never realize that she has done something wrong or that she will ever get caught. If she is a teen, then I would have this "chat" with her in front of her parent(s) so that they are aware that there is a problem, too.
    As a parent of teens, I would want to know if my daughters were acting this way so that I could correct the situation.
    I'm sure you will be able to find another back-up sitter. There are some great ones out there. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2009