How to dress for the snow if and when it comes...for the kids mainly???

What would you recommend as far as dressing warm and fun to play in the snow.

We live in Texas :)

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, I've lived in texas all my life and I would say just layer up a bit. Put leggings or stockings underneath pants dress as you usually would. Put on a heavy coat with gloves and hat and you're ready to go.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm also in Texas, and since we don't get snow often we usually don't buy snowboots. My mom always had us put plastic bags on our feet under our socks if we were going to actually play in the snow - keeps your feet dry and warm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It depends on where you plan to be when it snows.
    If you get snow in Texas where it is warmer than most of the states, then I would suggest the same as the first person who answered you because she is experienced with the weather in that state.
    If you are going to be visiting or moving to a northern state where it snows quite a bit and the temperatures drop quite drastically, then you will still need a couple of layers, a snowsuit, boots with a couple pair of socks underneath, hat, gloves or mittens, and a scarf to cover the neck. The scarf should be wide enough to cover their mouth, too, if the temp is cold enough to bother them when they breathe.
    Bring them inside at least every hour to undress from the outer layers, warm up with cocoa and a snack, and then head on back out if they want.
    I grew up in Maine and we lived there for 9 years after our children were born so I'm quite used to the snow. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ElPaso? lol Ok so we live in TX too. But we lived in MO for some time. I always gve them layers. My daughter prefers angora (me too). Especialy here in texas cause its gonna warm up! With layers they can take off what they need when mid day comes around. I will tell you that certain fabrics seem to keep you warmer. Wool does a great job but it can be itchy. Silk does well as a bottom layer. And for me, I walked 10 miles in a blizzard with just long johns, jeans and an angora sweater. I stayed very comfortable. No bulk!!! Just had to make a trip to the dry cleaner afterwards. Small price for comfort.
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 10:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• lol, I live in MN and think that I want to move to a place where I can wear jeans and sweaters in the snow. Here, depending on how cold it is, the only skin that can be showing is the eyes!! Except for this year. We have no snow and I still haven't put the liner in my coat!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 10:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Can u even get winter snow pants and snow suites in Texas? Wow, I would just put extra layers on the kids, mittens and a hat. I mean, how much can you possibly get down there? And I doubt it would stick very long. What is the most snow you ever had?
    Anonymous