How do I get my 1 year old to drink milk?

I breastfeed my daughter for a little over a year. While I was still nursing her she would eat yogurt and drink some milk from her sippy cup. She drinks great from the sippy cup with juice and water but now that she's not nursing she wont drink milk at all. I don't want to resort to add chocolate or strawberry syrup, does anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a rule in our house that you must drink milk with breakfast and dinner. We don't give them a whole lot, so they have to drink it all before they are allowed to get down. I will admit though, when my oldest son was about 1-2 he hated milk, so I did add strawberry to it. I figured him getting milk was the most important thing.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 10:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• maybe she just doesnt like it. you could try soy milk. we get the silk brain and bone health. it has lots more vitamins than cows milk.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Sometimes it is the cup. My first son would not drink milk when he turned 1 so I gave it to him in his bottle to get used to it. He is 2 and a half and I have no problem with him. My second child just transitioned and he only likes to drink it out of a cup with a straw. Just keep trying to find what may work (it is important for them to get the fat for brain development). Good luck.
    mcbrand

Answer by mcbrand at 12:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I am still nursing my son morning and night (barely have any milk left). So in order to switch him to regular milk, I have been mixing the whole milk with vitamin D together with some formula. did you ever give her formula? You can try mixing the two. Otherwise if she likes oatmeal, put a little in the warm milk, it might make it sweeter, or a little honey, if the milk is warm. You can slowly decrease the honey amount until it's just milk. My son drinks whole milk better than formula, but I still mix both, because I have formula left over. Good luck!
    ANAHITA72

Answer by ANAHITA72 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Is she eating plenty of cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc? If she's getting her full supply of dairy products in other forms you don't have to worry about it. I know some children who just don't like to drink milk but will drink it from their bowl when they're done with their cereal. They also get it in other forms.

You can also let her buy a special cup that she can only use to drink her milk from. Something else to try is to put the milk in the freezer for 15-20 minutes prior to her drinking it. It makes it ice cold and some like to drink it that way.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I agree with anahita, my DD didn't want to switch right to milk so I mixed 1/2 toddler formula 1/2 milk for about 2 weeks before I started to decrease the amount of formula.. she still won't drink milk from a cup (and I don't care that she has 3 bottles a day) she drinks other liquids from a regular cup. either way, eventually she'll grow out of it. all children do :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 11:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my son was the same way the wouldnt drink milk until like 13 months. i put a half spoon of ovaltine in it, it is better then regular chocolate then i would put less and less and eventually none and now he loves milk
    krazylilthang6

Answer by krazylilthang6 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2009