Mixing rice cereal with water...

I was mixing my dd's rice cereal with breastmilk but decided to give water a try. She threw up about an hour later. She hasn't had water before so I assume it was from that. Do you mix your cereal with water? Do I need to just give her a few small bites at a time to get her used to the water in her system? Any advice?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used to mix my dd's with milk never with water so i cna't help ya
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I mixed mine with water, but I introduced it slowly. First I mixed it with breast milk. Then I mixed it with breast milk and part water. Then I mixed it with only water.

We sure you aren't buying the Gerber or other junky rice cereal. Buy the one that is made from brown rice. It is much easier to digest and much better for your baby than a white rice cereal.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i had to kind of introduce water to my oldest, first i mixed it with breastmilk because he's used to it and after awhile he got used to eating the cereal so i mixed it with water and than when i moved him up to jar foods i mixed juice with the cereal cause it helped his constipation. i completely skipped the water stage wit my 2nd because she started jar foods early and she needed the juice.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Personally I would skip the rice cereal. It's empty calories, over processed, mushy and not particularly tastey. Why not switch to some yummy and easier real foods?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I mixed it with water because pumping anything just seemed impossible, my kids never had a problem with it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I used cereal and mixed it with water for a while but I will go with what amileegirl said.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2009