Follow up to my question about baby food...

I have been making my own baby food and pureeing it with breastmilk but was hoping to switch to water just because it's quicker. My dd is 6 months old. I gave her rice cereal with water and she threw it up.

Does making your own baby food make sense or should I just buy jar food? I keep reading that jarred baby food is just as good as homeade. Are store bought baby foods made with water?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i made my dd's baby food but didn't mix it with water, most vegetables and fruits have enough water in them to make it like a puree.... say, boil some carrots then drain them and put in the blender....good enough w/o mixing water with it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Store bought is made with water.
    Store bought food has a lot more added then just the food and water. To help prolong it's shelf life and what-not.
    Making your own is about as natural as you can get. You don't get all of those extra sugars, preservatives, and the-like.
    Also with making your own you can make it in bulk, which saves you money both in the short and long term.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes, store bought ones are made with water. However, at her age, you could probably stop pureeing it anyway. Start dicing soft cooked foods and putting it on a plate for her to feed herself!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Jarred baby food is tasteless, over processed, and over priced . Don't waste your money. Home food is best.
    You also don't have to fuss so much with purees. Food before one is just for fun...so she shouldn't be eating so much that you have to fuss over it. Give her what you eat, you don't have to go all out.

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My kids never got purees because they didn't like them. I started them with extremely soft cooked food in one of those mesh feeders and soon went ot just giving them small bits of what we were eating. I found a system that is followed in Europe a lot called Baby Led Weaning with my second child and used that primarily for her. As someone else said food before 1 years is only for practice. Making your own purees if you feel you need to give purees is much cheaper and has fewer added chemicals etc then store bought and it doesn't have to be that difficult.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2009