Another WAHM ?

I am in dire need of employment, problem is that I have 3 children and only 1 is in school.
I am leery of most of the WAH opportunities, as for the most part they feel like a scam. I KNOW that there are a lot of you ladies who do manage to work at home, and draw a descent income... as of right now, I have zilch to invest in anything- especially what feels like a scam.

How did you filter out your results to come up with something useful?

I should also add that I do not have transportation- I do not drive (yeah I know, its a long story though). So it is not all that easy for me to put myself/business "out there" in the community. I've seen all kinds of replies, but hosting parties, putting out fliers, and things of the like are not optional at the moment... ANY input that isn't driven by the company you work for- ie promotions- would be ever so helpful. my SO may be out of work in jan- his contract is up & no luck on perm yet.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• I work from home and I can help you work from home too!!! I was very concerned about scams myself, but I'm lucky enough to have found Internet CEO Moms!!! I am a stay at home Mom to two children. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!! Joining Internet CEO Moms is one of the best decisions I have made for my family and myself. You can have the best of both worlds too!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 11:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well, I have a home business. It took me about 3 yeas of looking and trying to find one that fit me. I tried a number of things and was scammed a number of times in the process. I tried home based jobs and found that they weren't for me. I didn't want to have to hire a sitter while I was home and I hated that I couldn't work my own schedule so that's the main reason I went with a home business over a job. However, like you said, home businesses require an investment. So, if you don't want to have the investment you need to do a home job.

Because of the hassle I went through looking for something from home, I created a site with the idea of helping others find a job at home. I don't make a commission or anything, but the list only includes legit companies. You can check it out at www.SabrinasCloset.info and click on the Work At Home Jobs tab.

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I didn't find a WAH opportunity that suited me, so I started my own business in medical transcription. It made the most sense to me personally, as I already had completed the training and had five years experience in the field. Perhaps you could consider the different types of work experiences that you have, including caring for children, and begin a business of your own as well.
    Anonymous

• As I say many times I sell on eBay. I started selling clothes my son outgrew and that I no longer wore as well as toys and such. I did take the majority of my profit at first to go to thrift shops, yard sales and clearance racks to buy more things to sell, but as you build an inventory you start to keep more and more of your profits. I generaly make $50-$300 a week in profit. That really depends on how much I put into buying and listing, lately it's been on the smaller end simply because i'm now 9 months pregnant and listing on ebay hasn't been a huge priority.

My husband and I also started a carpet cleaning business last year, we use a different machine than steam cleaners, and it fits right into the trunk of our car. We do EXTREMELY well with it and we've been in business a year. I'd say we average about $1,000 a week on slow weeks and $1500-$2500 on great weeks. The equipment was $5,000 but it's a lease to own...
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Sabrina~ Thanks, I am browsing right now... tiny details seems really productive for me... along with some of the other art related sites. we'll see!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ....so really anyone near a good sized city and semi decent credit to get approved for a lease to own can get this equipment to start a business. I only mention this becasue you talk about your SO possibly being jobless come January. And it's just one other thing you can consider as a couple to do for a good income.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

•  I have links to web writing jobs on my blog if that helps: Freelance Writer and WAHM

JuliaW

Answer by JuliaW at 6:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I have created a series of work at home articles on eHow.  They contain excellent ideas, resources and ideas for working at home.  You can check them all out in my Journal here at Cafemom:

Work at Home Article Series

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009